My Best Day Out Ever, But I Need Some Mark Identification Help!

Great hunt! The Equinox loves gold. It's amazing!

Well done on some nice goodies

The anchor symbol is the mark for Birmingham Assay Office, England

K is the date letter

Go to Birmingham Assay date letters (Google search) and match your K with the various font styles listed

When you have the exact font style match it will tell you what year that was.

• Like 4

NSC, thank you. I was doing some searching before and came to that conclusion. There could be a couple different dates, but the font is hard to match, here is what I came up with...1782-83 (I don't think it's this date) 1859-1860 (Maybe this one) 1934-35 (probably not this one either). I'm going by what "box" the letter is outlined with. the 1700 one has a point on the bottom and is 5 sided. The 1900 one has a curve and point on the bottom and the 1800 is just a plain box so for now I'm guessing that one. There is still the fact that it just has those 2 marks and no other mention of what karat gold, but supposedly the sideways anchor means gold and the straight up and down anchor is silver. I talked to the local coin shop and they mentioned it's probably old English and 8 or 9 karat gold which I was thinking also. It's much duller in color than the 18k ring

Edit: Meant to say in the first post...This is why I metal detect! haha

DukeBoxer --

GREAT hunting, way to persist in a place where you dug mostly zincs in the past.  EXCELLENT job, and super finds!  I love that 18K ring, it's a nice one!

Steve

Show killer!! What a great day. Congrats

7 hours ago, DukeBoxer said:

NSC, thank you. I was doing some searching before and came to that conclusion. There could be a couple different dates, but the font is hard to match, here is what I came up with...1782-83 (I don't think it's this date) 1859-1860 (Maybe this one) 1934-35 (probably not this one either). I'm going by what "box" the letter is outlined with. the 1700 one has a point on the bottom and is 5 sided. The 1900 one has a curve and point on the bottom and the 1800 is just a plain box so for now I'm guessing that one. There is still the fact that it just has those 2 marks and no other mention of what karat gold, but supposedly the sideways anchor means gold and the straight up and down anchor is silver. I talked to the local coin shop and they mentioned it's probably old English and 8 or 9 karat gold which I was thinking also. It's much duller in color than the 18k ring

Edit: Meant to say in the first post...This is why I metal detect! haha

You are welcome mate. ?

Being English its probably 9carat

Thats a pretty big gemstone too. I wonder if its Ruby ??

I noticed it has some little chips. If its valuable it may be worth getting it cleaned up and re-cut to remove the chips.?

cheers

WOW !!!! A very nice hunt !!!!!

Thanks everyone for the comments! Tomorrow I'm heading to a jeweler and later to my local coin shop to ask them their opinions on the ring. I'm thinking I have something pretty old here. I am going to ask about repairing it also. I'll check back after I see everyone and follow up.

I did go back out this morning to the same beach. Got more coins but I did get a little tiny rectangle, gold in color with a cursive "R" on it. It rang up around 12/13 I think and it has a pretty high pitched ring to it when I drop it so I'm thinking it's brass. It fits on top of a penny for size reference.

IMG_20180517_085100.jpg

• Like 2