Smallest Ever 1700's Buckle Found With The 800..

Nicely done, I like those older little buckles.   

Is that a flat button under the buckle?

• Like 1

Looks like a good hunt :smile:

• Like 1

Cheers guys.....Cal it's a one piece Dome style button, shank off centre. I took the Nox 800 up to my Pals place today. I raved about the Nox and he got one himself. I showed him mine and he tried it in his test garden..he was blown away!

HH

Sillllvar

So an update on the Buckle. It's more than likely a 'Garter buckle' 1720 to 1790's. Due to the age of the site a good guess would be 1750's. So the Equinox delivers a first for me! Happy days..I do love relics guys ?

HH

sillllvar

• Like 2

Hi sillllvar,

That is the smallest buckle of that type that I have seen

I used to relic hunt a least weekly with my CTX and ETrac and have collected a few of that type.

The larger ones are harness buckles I think

They all came from sites post 1830's

happy hunting ?

P1140837resized.jpg

P1140833res.jpg

• Like 2

A very Nice collection of Buckles NSC! Yes, these look like sash type buckles from the 1800's The pressed metal type are later examples, I think the heavy cast style are too fine to be for horse tack tho mate. More than likely strap buckles for bags or even gun slings. The New England (USA) area that I live in was settled in the early 1600's and Colonial buckles turn up from time to time. The website I use to research my buckles is below. If you look at part ten #40 and then at the notes you will see the Garter buckle. The Garter was a strip of material that was part of the fashion at the time! It's interesting how similar the tangs are to the later sash Buckles! I grew up in Australia, I wish I had Metal detected back then!!

https://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ceejays_site/pages/buckletitlepage.htm

• Like 1

Where I live at present was settled in 1836 and its super rare to find anything past 1700

My oldest find was a 1695 UK half penny

I guess the grass is greener on the other side because I would love to detect somewhere older like USA or UK....maybe I will get there one day .

I am very happy with what I achieved though, this hobby has been very good to me and lady luck has smiled upon me many times.?

• Like 1