A Discussion About Aptx Low Latency And The Equinox

Interesting discussion.  I use the ML80 phones, going on 2 plus months now, 4 weeks on the FL beach and the rest on dry land in VT, and haven't really noticed any lag with my older ears?.  Not to say others wouldn't notice a lag.  The ML80 phones did get hot on the beach in the sun and did a nice job of keeping the surrounding sounds out.  They do seem to be well built and I think they'll hold up pretty well.

How about construction of the ArchMage phones?  Any comments on fit and finish, quality of sound, robust construction, ear comfort, etc.?

The ArchMage SoundClean 9's are very well made, and fit large heads (like mine) well. Sound quality is excellent, and the fit and finish is on par with much more expensive headphones.  They are comfortable to wear, but as I stated in my opening post, in the heat you will sweat and the pads should be cleaned after use to avoid deterioration.
Very happy with them...just not for detecting due to my sensitivity to any lag.

Frank

1249473491_ArchMageSoundClean9.jpg.3df57026ab28f9620b6f0e5fade984bf.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SittingElf said:

The ArchMage headphones controls are well located, and they work well, but are not raised and palpable without knowing exactly where they are while wearing the headphones. Not that big a deal, but raised buttons would have been a better design.

Try a dot of hot glue on the buttons to make them easier to "see" with your fingers. 

16 hours ago, SittingElf said:

Nope, because I had those MPOW supposed LL headphones that were definitely not, and would not pair to the "+". They had serious 100ms lag. The ArchMages were clearly LL capable and immediately paired with the 600 with LL "+". BIG difference in the lag, but for me, still discernable. 

BTW...shouldn't you be in bed??!!  You're on nights right now, right??

Frank

Ha -- you nailed it, Elf!  I went to bed right after you posted that!  ?

Steve

Late to the party, but I agree with noticing the lag.  I have tried aftermarket and the minelab LL, and there is enough of a lag that I went back to wired.  I blame my swing speed.  Using LL, I hear the targets, and then can narrow and slow my swing speed to get the target location... so I wouldn't say it causes me to miss a target... it just takes me longer to pinpoint it for extraction.  So my preference is the immediate feedback of wired phones. 

Now, when there is an option to hear my pinpointer in my LL phones, I might have a reason to put up with the latency.  ;)  Tim.

• Like 1

It is interesting that some have an issue with true LL and others are satisfied without it.

I clearly notice lag without (+) sign LL devices but not with the ML supplied HPs or my Levn M78 LL Earbuds.

16 hours ago, Dubious said:

Just slow down the swing speed a bit once you have a target to examine and the 40ms delay should not be an issue.

That is exactly the problem. The EQ can have a relatively fast swing speed when using wired headphones or speaker. Having to slow swing speed using 40MS headphones defeats the high speed capability of the detector. That may not matter to most, but it does to me, because that is one of the best features of the Equinox. Allows for covering more area quicker when there is no lag.

It would matter to me if I had to slow down my swing but haven't had to with the APTXLL phones and the diffrence between APTXLL and WiMax (the 20 mS of the WM08 receiver) is not discernable to me  APTX is borderline.  Anything wireless with more lag than APTX (and even some supposed ATPX phones with excessive lag) does not work for me.

Elf I realize now that you have been using your wired phones since day 1 with the 600 until you finally got the Arc Mage phones.  So your ear may have gotten finely tuned to the Equinox NO LAG wired response.  Would be interested in what you find once you get your 800 and the ML APTX phones AND the WM08 module to see what you thing. Another possiblity is that the lag on the third party APTX phones is on the high end of the spec, but the spec only ranges from 30 to 40 mS.

What I do know is that once I got my wired WP phones for the Equinox (the first time I ever plugged wired phones into the Equinox) that it was not noticeable to me that the wired phones had no latency vs. the APTXLL phones I normally use.