Got To Do A Little Relic Hunting Sunday - May Have Found A 49ers Style Buckle??

I don't know what some consider hard hit but that is a huge amount of non-ferrous targets left to be found .  The previous hunters must have been cherry picking.

Good job!

• Like 1

NICE digs, Cal!  Looks like a tough site to hunt, based on the amount of non-ferrous junk.

Has the Merc been through a fire?

Also, that round-ish piece with the "keyhole" in it -- is that a lantern piece?  I have dug those before, on sites of that same era...

Neat little bottle, too...

Steve

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jackpine said:

I don't know what some consider hard hit but that is a huge amount of non-ferrous targets left to be found .  The previous hunters must have been cherry picking.

Good job!

They were likely cherry picking high conductors for the most part.  I'm going to research the site a bit more to get a better idea of the layout, there's a ton of low conductors to dig through, but you never know what might show up in the low-mid conductor range, can get some nice buttons in that range, coins too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steveg said:

NICE digs, Cal!  Looks like a tough site to hunt, based on the amount of non-ferrous junk.

Has the Merc been through a fire?

Also, that round-ish piece with the "keyhole" in it -- is that a lantern piece?  I have dug those before, on sites of that same era...

Neat little bottle, too...

Steve

Hey Steve!  Yeah it's a lantern part, no idea how I missed that, I should've know it.  Not sure on the merc, it's totally possible.  Need to ezest it and look for a date, but no matter what the date, it's at least 100 years newer then what should be at that site.

Cool that detectorists can snag an old intact bottle now and again.  Yeah happy with the opium bottle! 

Nice relics :biggrin:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kiwijw said:

That's incredible for a totally thrashed well hunted site that has been left to die. Like you said, any one of those bits of lead could have been the find of a lifetime. Some nice finds & you would have had a blast. The little bottle is cool & you didn't even need your detector for that one.:biggrin: Thanks for sharing.

Good luck out there

JW :smile: 

Thanks!  I'm sure if one was to dig all conductors, as one should at a 250 year old site, something good might come out of there, like a old coin.   I'm going back next weekend, got a bit more insight as to where ground zero was, so may do better there, but who knows, it's where you find it.

21 minutes ago, sillllvar said:

Way to go sniffing out the merc ? 

The irony, but still :wink:

• Haha 1