Pulse Detector Results and VLF vs PI

My first PI was the SD2000 which I had modified.

My second PI was the GP3000.

And now my current PI is the GPX5000

Below are my results for my total nugget haul so far :

The SD2000M found 7.3% of the total with an average weight of 3.25 grams.

The GP3000 found 28% of the total with an average weight of 2.13 grams.

The GPX5000 found 64.6% of the total with an average weight of 1.18 grams

Hi goldenoldie, welcome to the forum!

I'm guessing lot of years, lot of gold. Makes sense to me about average size dropping - we are all seeing that. Gotta love that 5000.

Nice thing about detecting is it is one of the few things we get better at the older we get! Well, except for the climbing around hills part maybe.

Basic Guide to Differences in the Minelab SD, GP, and GPX Detectors

Great to have a few Aussies here for another perspective on things. I have to caution everyone that the US and Oz are worlds apart detecting wise. Things get said here that are rubbish in the experience of the Australian prospector due to our milder hunting conditions. I think it can be said that the majority of Australian prospectors hunting in the harshest conditions over time would agree that the GPX 5000 has proven itself as compared to earlier models. Every new model that came out people doubted, but over time each new model did prove to have some advantages. But there will always be those who stick with the good old proven reliable detector they already have and there is nothing wrong with that. "Whatever works for you" that's my motto.

I started detecting in 1989 until 2001 using a Minelab VLF before I received the SD2000.

In answer to Kempf’s question in regards to total time spent swinging each detector then the majority of my detecting has occurred only over one day on a weekend during the cooler months. So here are the results using the 3 detectors on the same goldfields : SD 2000 for 122 days ;  GP3000 for 113 days ;  GPX5000 for 78 days.

In regards to Fred’s question then the answer is nothing spectacular as the total is only 164.  

Thanks Steve for the welcome and I would expect there are a lot of US and Aussie operators out there with much better figures than mine for the time I’ve been detecting, although the goldfield I have detected on the most is not noted as a good producer compared to others around the country. I agree with you about detecting in that we get better the older we get except for our agility. Also agree in regards to the GPX5000 as it has produced the most gold for me including the largest and deepest while using the Fine Gold timing. Again will agree the ground here is rather nasty.

• Like 2

G'day Tom,

Na mate that figure is the total number of nuggets found for all those days of detecting with the 3 detectors.

Wouldn't we all wish to detect a 164 oz piece or even a total of 164 ozs over a weekend?

I see your location is Canada so I assume you may not have experienced temperatures we are reaching up to at the moment above 40 degrees C (or above 100 + degrees F) although those in the desert areas of USA would.  I have not been out for a detect since the end of August last year, now waiting for a cool day to appear over a weekend.

• Like 1

Hi goldenoldie

Your right,I'm in British Columbia. We have desert hear in the interior of the province were we grow all our fruit. I worked in the 

orchards years ago in 43 -44 degrees. Worked out in that for 8-10 hours a day. After you get use to it, it's not that bad.

We have lots of gold history here, but all the gold in my area is flour gold, nothing detectable.

I'd love to find 164 pieces of gold.

Just a side note. Do you visit the Australianelectronicgoldprospectors forum.

Tom