Let's Give The Detector A Little More Credit

A good friend of mine says it is better to be lucky than be good. There is a kernel of truth in there because when my luck is down I may as well stay home. Sometimes it is as random as whether you go left and your buddy goes right. But good pays off in the long run.

Well there is no I in TEAM. 

But there is META in METAL Detector.

You have to be a team player with your detector. You have to feel and listen to what information it feeds you.

You have to give it what it needs. Putting it over the right kind ground to have success on.

You members on the forums ,clubs, groups and other fellow detectorists are like coaches .Giving and trading information with you to help prep your gameplan. 

You , yourself has to study the game film. Find the strategy that works. Get boots and coils on the ground. Find the right field to swing successfully in. Swing with confidence.

And sometimes you need to need to part ways with your old teammate. You need to make a trade. Trade up to the new young prospect. The one that gives you the best chance to win.

Or do you keep the old veteran? The one you have won with for years. 

So swing like a champion today!

Let's add a new element that combined with luck to got me 3 little nuggets all within a 10' circle.  Laziness.  Near the end of the day heading back to the jeep came to a little wash and being to lazy to stumble down the wash I chose instead to walk on a nice level bench next to the wash.  Went twenty yards got a nice signal on the 2300, dug the target, a nice little nugget.  Three feet away another target and nugget.  Five feet away under a little bush another target and nugget.  This was on a club claim that has been searched a lot.  In this case luck was a big factor, and a good deal of credit goes to the 2300.  I'm sure I wasn't the first guy to search that nice level bench.  Or maybe all the hard workers walked down the wash ;-)

I completely agree that to find gold consistently the guy that knows the geology, signs and area  and is an expert operator will get many more of the goodies.

However, I will give Minelab credit for building Pi detectors that will find gold when in the arms of the most inept operator. I have  read  many accounts of people that barely knew how to power up their detector that found gold. Yes, there is luck involved but there is atl east an even chance that the detector should be given its due.

In fact, I give Minelab credit for helping me find my biggest nugget to date (1.4 oz) with a minelab 2000 my first time out.

I also give my intuition credit for getting me to that spot...It is better to be lucky than good...

fred

My take there is no such thing as luck, how often I`ve heard individuals say they should have followed that creek right up to the ridge, and then comment on how lucky the fellow was that did follow that creek. Operators make their own "luck", out of bed with the chooks, work all day, back to bed with the chooks because your knackered. Sorry tis not luck. But that is my opinion.

• Like 1

I respect your right to your opinion and all others right as well.

LUCK can have a multitude of values...raw, blind luck is when a complete newbie walks out with his new detector and finds a big thumper...

Anyone that finds a huge nugget is lucky even if they are a skilled operator..

Luck, chance, serendipity; who cares as long as we find the gold!

fred

• Like 1

Thank you, Fred, rereading my post again I may be a little brutal, but many years ago I stopped showing nuggets to even family, the first comment you get is aren`t you "lucky". Makes me see red, I`ve dragged my wife and kids into dry remote locations, just a wipe down each night with little water for weeks at a time, worn out boots, bruises etc. You`ve gotta walk in those shoes to really understand and appreciate where I`m coming from. But regardless of the hardness, it has been Magic, love it, there is no thrill greater for me than to dig up a nugget and then the scenery of those locations, the nuggets are a bonus.

May our electronic gold rush go on.

• Like 5

Thank you for your prospecting procedure.  It serves as a 'model' for prospectors with and without metal detectors.

We all know that more gold has been 'found' without detectors than with.  The early prospectors in the states would take off with their mules and pans and seek out features that held gold.  This is not luck. (Except for that storm that made them go to a different set of mountains.)  They weren't looking for gold on a sand dune!  They didn't have Google Earth to 'pre-prospect.'

Some of us have been lucky.  We have found gold in placer deposits that moved to its found location without a direct link to a specific lode.  No known gold feature clues would be available for the find.  (My 20.5/8 ozt specie is both luck and work.)

We also have been unlucky by going to places just as you describe and there is no gold to be detected.  

Now, armed with the great confidence you have we should move on to the next set of gold clues and be confident (not lucky) to repeat your success.

Congratulations again.  I hope to be more confident and less lucky.

• Like 1

Mn90403

I had never tought about the confidence factor before.

Now that I think about it confidence is a very important part of prospecting!

As you have to have the confidence to keep going through the lean times.

• Like 1