What Coil Size Do You Most Want For The GPZ 7000?

I think I can promise that Minelab is watching this forum carefully for helpful feedback regarding the GPZ 7000. Once a few more people have one I will start a general suggestions thread that will address general upgrade requests, especially as regards the software. The hardware is not likely to change much. The most immediate thing I am sure Minelab is working on is the coils

What one or no more than two coil sizes do you want the most? We need it to be focused so big lists do not help. The main thing is to send a message now about what you want most. I can guarantee the people that matter will be watching what you say with great interest.

Some reason why you want the coil would be good also. Thank you!

My vote is for an 8" x 11" coil. I want the hots of the 8" but I am not quite willing to give up the ground coverage. My second place vote if a new housing is not in the offing is the 8" round.

I need the small coil for nooks and crannies in rough brushy terrain. I also think using a small coil in conjunction with the smaller CTX battery will make the detector lighter which will also help in uneven terrain.

• Like 2

I vote for a smaller could also, but for much different reasons. I have two metal knees and the stock coil and my knees would make for an impossible combination. If there is ever a chance of me getting and using a 7000 that is the only chance I have.

Good thread Steve.

Firstly, I think ML has made an excellent choice for their "stock" coil.

It has decent ground coverage and obviously, it has pretty serious depth.

As a second coil, an 8" would by my choice as well.

I also like the idea of it being an elliptical for the same reasons you set out. 

Listen, I will be happy just to be able to say I can use the stock coil to it's capability

but a second coil for those small spaces and "clean up" sounds like a good choice.

(now where did I put that spare 9 thousand bucks…)

The stock coil is a good choice, but in ground cluttered with lots of rocks and bushes, I find it is tough to get into tight places and many times this is where the gold is hiding. Its fine in open, sparsely vegetated country as in northern Nevada or Western Australia, but not everywhere is like that. In past years on my other ML machines I have rarely used a coil this large except as a final patch cleaner to check for deeper stuff. So I would prefer a smaller coil - 11x8 or 11x9 would be fine. Once available, that smaller coil would probably become my primary coil on the GPZ.

• Like 1

If Minelab could make a 16 inch round that was thinner and lighter than the 14x13 DOD, I'd be the first one to buy it. If it has to be an oblong shape make it a 17x16, that would make it 3 inches bigger than the stock coil. I've used lots of big round mono's and I thought I wanted the 20 in DOD but it's going to be to heavy to swing it more than 20 minutes.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a 20" by 18" coil. The smallest coil I have used on any of my other SD/GP machines has been the 11" mono. I don't mind the weight, I've never had a problem swinging a solid 25" nuggetfinder all day. Ground coverage and depth are my only concerns, there is not much to get in the way where I hunt.

• Like 1

9x12 for a smaller coil and 18x14 for a bigger one. The big is the one I really want but I suspect it'll be an arm killer. So I guess what I'd really want in the coil department is for Minelab to figure out a way to make them all lighter in general, if that is possible in any way.

14 inch is the most used coil for me, but I`ll get around 10 inch when available. I have used elliptical coils but think round perform better. Although the GPZ14 is a wee elliptical, maybe elliptical suits the GPZ. I also believe they`ll get lighter(hopefully), remember the "garbage lid" coil that came out with the SD`s.

Smaller coil would be first on my list.  8 inches fits the bill nicely and 8 by 11 are prime deminsions.  For me its much as Steve says about terrain.  Gulleys, rocks and sidewalls on steep hills are exhausting~ I used a Joey or the 11 inch as I've never been a fan of the 8 inch because it gave up coverage. 

On the large side a 18 by 20 would pack a lot of punch and give the coverage for long walks though I feel it might be prudent to add an extra long shaft to the line up as well as a reinforced shaft attach point and heavy duty bungie and hooks.  The current set up does not seem like it would take the load.

I get the feeling coil weight is not going to go down due to the design however there needs to be a filler in the housing to reduce the noise of the coil when it strikes objects or is rubbed on the ground.  The filler would also protect the workings~ and I've some concern about the current coil and its ability to take abuse.