Proper Hydration, Heat Stroke, Cramp Prevention

Energy bars and coconut water.......works for me. And when you feel like you need a break, take 5-10 minutes and rest,. I have found when I do that, I usually slow it down on my sweeps and pay more attention to the sounds. Many a time after a nice break I find a nugget. That gold wont grow legs and run, it will be there waiting for you....so rest.

Reading these I'm actually kinda surprised people don't drink more. 1.5 gallons a day while prospecting is pretty normal for me too and I'm not even a profuse sweater. During the summer it's more than that. I'll drink 16 ounces on just the hike in, not sure how someone could survive off just that all day...ya'll a bunch of desert tortoises or camels out there. Energy bar and a banana to snack on, get my electrolytes from those.

200,000 years of human history can't be wrong. Water: The Thirst Mutilator!  :D Definitely down with the lemon squeeze though.

Azblackbird, you must spend a lot of time in the "can" if drinking a gallon and a half a day. ;-)

I probably whiz about 8 times a day. :D

Drinking too much water without potassium and the other electrolytes can also lead to bad things because it flushes the stuff in your body out or else dilutes it,,,,

Keep sane---drink fluids the night before, carry some --0-gatorade,  some out in the field and take some more at night with some potassium later---

BTW Steve, i had a microbio professor tell me that you would have to eat a banana 6 feet long to replace what you lose in the desert on a hot one.....

My buddys mother at work decided to flush her body out and get things nice and clean inside . Well, she drank about 2 gallons of water that day apparently. The hubby had to go to the airport to pick up my friend, called the wife to check on her but no answer. They get home and she is passed out on the floor. They call an ambulance and she spent several days in the hospital due to water poisoning, flushed all those good electrolytes right out apparently...so water alone on a hot humid day is not enough....I will keep experimenting with electrolytes  until I can find something that tastes reasonably good and doesn't have tons of sugar..

Well, we are getting an early spring for 2015 ,much needed relief to sub zero nights last 2 weeks.51 degrees on March 8 and low 60's predicted for next week, YIPPEE !  Maybe I will go out and try to sluice/highbank someplace.

Drinking too much water without potassium and the other electrolytes can also lead to bad things because it flushes the stuff in your body out or else dilutes it,,,,

If you eat properly (meaning no junk food) and take your vitamins, you'll never have to worry about your body not getting the proper nutrients no matter how much water you drink. The body can only process and absorb so much potassium, electrolytes, etc. before it opens the waste valves. Anything more and it just comes out as #1 or #2. That's why I always got a kick out of the Kagen water scams and their high PH claims.

Weedogie...this is a good string! Yep, avoid too much hoohead John around the campfire and before you start hiking prehydrate always. I normally slug down about a half gallon before I start hiking. If ya ain't peeing you ain't hydrated and if'n your pee is yeller ('cept for coffee or vitamins) you best drink more. Anywho that's my recipe and it works fer me  :)

• Like 4

NuggetBob said what I had thought I should say, that is "If ya ain't peeing you ain't hydrated and if'n your pee is yeller ('cept for coffee or vitamins) you best drink more.

Thanks, NuggetBob!  You did good!

Gary/Largo