Informal Testing Of The GPZ Vs The 5000 On Mossy, Wiry Gold

The GPZ combines the hots of a good VLF with the depth of a PI. If I was not seeing it for myself I would have said it was not possible to like up targets like that without also lighting up the ground. I still want to learn more about how the GPZ is working its magic. I can understand however why the unit may have issues with salt ground. It is lighting up salt range gold targets. I need to try it on fine gold chains, ear rings, and other micro jewelry.

Please do not take this as definitive but I think the GPZ has the same issues with higher grade magnetite rocks that the GPX units do, including high magnetite content basalt. Maybe even more so because I get the feeling the GPZ cannot be dumbed down as much as the GPX to compensate for said rocks. But I still have lots to learn with the GPZ so jury is out for me on that question.

• Like 1

And here's a 97gram speci,37of gold, dug at 19 inches in WA with a 5k/11inch coil. Meter shows gold all the way through and was a good signal. Will buy a 7k for WA next month but just because.

post-651-0-03916400-1426035800_thumb.jpg

DaveM.

Apology for the pic size.Will have to work on my posting skills.

post-651-0-59072600-1426032972_thumb.jpg

Meter shows gold all the way through and was a good signal.

Dmatt, isn't the fact that the gold is connected all the way through the reason the 5000 picked it up easily. If the 37gm of gold had been disconnected (like links on a chain) it may not have been detected? Or am I missing the point?

Nobody is saying a GPX can't find specimen gold. The idea is not to trash the GPX but to offer clues on how best to score with the GPZ. There has been a ton of specimen gold found with the GPX. Just that the GPZ will do even better.

Very nice specimens whether GPX or GPZ - thanks for showing!

Hi Col. Just trying to find a match to the 18g mossy speci above which I imagine would be all connected. Reading the post I'm finding it difficult to match my finds/depths obtained with the 5000 to the results above. Maybe it's the type of gold or soil. ( or me)

Cheers,Dave.    

If your specimen has a solid slab of gold inside, it would respond as a solid piece the size of the slab. Given the size of the piece and the weight, it would seem there is some pretty solid gold inside. It does not appear to be much larger than the 18 gram specimen, yet is 5 times the total weight, and close to twice the total gold. The GPX does fine on that more solid, well connected type of gold. The mossy, poorly interconnected gold is what responds poorly on the GPX.

Not all specimens are the same.