Does anyone know how to correlate the tone numbers adjustment on detector to the actual tones I can hear? My audiologist knows what tones I can and can't hear.  I think that having that number value would help us hearing impaired detectorists. Adjusting the machine from that number lower, but never higher.

Norm McQ

You have two easiest ways. First detector with vibration and ID numbers LCD, second, hardware LED signal indicator or try to build something similar - to boost and change tones in fly.

Thanks Sheldon

The problem is, I have a GPX and a GPZ and I can't hear what I can't hear.

Norm McQ

Norm, I bet your wife can hear way better than you...slowly,go through the tones with her and you listening. It is likely you have a "shooters notch" caused by loud noises. You will be able to hear some tones much better than the others that you do hear...

It really does not matter what you don't hear, just find the tone that you do hear...

fred

Norm,

I would take the detectors with you to the audiologist and let him take a frequency reading on the tones that the detectors put out---- he should be able to match them up for you..

***after reading your post i am not quite sure i am getting your drift---dont you just select the tones you can hear and go on with detecting???

Are you having trouble with all tones on GPZ???

---I got an extra set of teeth if you need to borrow them steve...lol

Paul

I do set the detector to what I can hear. I prefer to run the threshold just above an audible tone, and don't know if I am missing the faint signals. 

• Like 1

A good friend of mine said "you know what is good about get old---NOTHING".  Now you got all the time in the world to go detecting, but can't hear the dang detector.  Much less leap buildings at a single bound.  

Norm, when i was in Oz we had an old guy in the group ( he was probably 65-that was old to me then, now it is what I am)....

I watched him detect and pass up signals. So, I asked him why he did not dig thoses signals. He said, What Signals?

You won't know what you aren't hearing unless someone that can hear is with you...

Do you use headphones? Have you tried dual speakers?

I solved my friends problem with a cheap set of Sony over-the-ear buds...they worked way better for him than regular headphones...

fred

Fred

I use head phones with individual volume adjusters, I have a single external speaker but the head phones work much better with ambient noise, especially the wind. 

If I turn the tone signal down, all signals sound the same. I would like to have the tone as high as possible and still know that the signal is still in my hearing range.

Norm