Warm Up For GPZ 7000... Some Clarification.

.........Move around the area swinging the coil at a consistent height and speed, after 15 to 20 minutes the detector will progressively become more and more stable and smooth (mainly in High Yield).

I've seen parts of this comment re-posted numerous times now and feel I need to clarify my remarks on the subject of warming up..... (originally posted here http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/665-my-take-on-the-minelab-gpz-7000/page-2 post 34)

When you first switch the GPZ on at the start of a session, the auto GB electronics require the coil to be moved across the ground to get good averaging data to allow the detector to run as smooth as possible, this is over and above the initial GB which removes the bulk of ground signal. This averaging process can take 10 to 20 minutes depending on the ground you are working in and the Gold mode used (especially High Yield). There are multiple components to the GB of the GPZ 7000, removing the bulk of the ground signal noise is only one part of the equation.

Hope this explains things more succinctly. 

JP

• Like 2

About a half cup of coffee in the morning and my brain balance starts to smooth out.... GPZ comes in today hopefully !

strick

One thing that I have noticed, but can't really offer an explanation for is that running the EMI adjustment protocol every time the GPZ is turned on quiets the detector threshold quite a bit.

In the past with my previous GP and GPX detectors, I would normally run that adjustment at the beginning of the day and then only afterward if I started hearing EMI noise. I have found that even if I just stop for a moment to talk to another detectorist, or take a short break for a snack or lunch, I really need to run the EMI protocol every time the GPZ gets turned on.

On 3/11/2015 at 3:35 AM, Jonathan Porter said:

I've seen parts of this comment re-posted numerous times now and feel I need to clarify my remarks on the subject of warming up..... (originally posted here http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/665-my-take-on-the-minelab-gpz-7000/page-2 post 34)

When you first switch the GPZ on at the start of a session, the auto GB electronics require the coil to be moved across the ground to get good averaging data to allow the detector to run as smooth as possible, this is over and above the initial GB which removes the bulk of ground signal. This averaging process can take 10 to 20 minutes depending on the ground you are working in and the Gold mode used (especially High Yield) and also to some extent has a bit to the electronics normalising temperature wise as well (from dead cold start). There are two components to the GB of the GPZ 7000, removing the bulk of the ground signal noise is only one part of the equation (more on this at a later stage).

Hope this explains things more succinctly. 

JP

Mate being an aussie in Australian conditions I cant thank you enough for your free time effort and knowledge. To us that eagerly are trying to master this beast  >grin<

Been fine as far as I could tell but without trying I guess I could not know.

The threshold is quite usable as it it when turned on, but give it a try and see how much more quiet the EMI adjustment makes the threshold. I only noticed this in the last couple of times I have had the GPZ out detecting - I did not see it before.

You can achieve the same thing by manually moving the Tune control a few points.... give it a try it will save a lot of time.

• Like 1

• The topic was unlocked