GPZ And GPS Software

Norvic

Jasong,

I will use your script if it converts the GPS data from Minelabs mlx file to kml nice and easy rather than the involved process I posted earlier. I don`t believe there will be any security problems unless we go online with it. Even then I`ve never worried too much about others finding my patches, have often put a newchum detectorsoris onto a nugget, the reward is the experiencing all over again that first nugget joy. At the same time it is totally understandable for people who rely on gold for their living to be cautious..

• Like 1

Ok no problem then I can write one up. It'll be about 10 days though because tomorrow I'm hitching my trailer up and hitting the road cross country and will be swinging the Z in the goldfields for the first time since I've received it. I'll have more free time once I move into town into an RV park.

I like programming, if people have any other ideas down the road too I'd be open to trying to implement them. I'm mostly limited to scripting type stuff though, Python, Java. I can do a bit of C if compiled solutions are needed. I'm all about maps too, if I can figure out a way to display raster images or even just allow basic geometries through KML conversion I'm going to try to do that, but chances are slim. I really think eventually Minelab will see the benefit of that and implement it themselves though in a software update.

• Like 2

You take your time, swing that Z carefully and may The Goddess of Gold come across, meantime will be considering other features but I think for me a simple script will suffice. There is no urgency, Enjoy the Z.

Many Thanks

Vic

On 3/15/2015 at 11:37 PM, jasong said:

I'm all about maps too, if I can figure out a way to display raster images or even just allow basic geometries through KML conversion I'm going to try to do that, but chances are slim. I really think eventually Minelab will see the benefit of that and implement it themselves though in a software update.

KML is really just XML that's been tweeked very slightly by the Google children. Being text based it doesn't support true rasters. The row limit is 2048 which is going to be unacceptable to the end user. Less than cartoon quality. :(

If you want to try more complex KML you might consider "super overlays" but even that is extremely limiting.

Google wants to maintain control over the base maps and neither the KML format nor their restrictive licensing are going to allow you to get around that without your own server and petabytes of raster data.

We could hope that the Minelab MLX format is more than a renamed xml text file but I doubt it. I'll look it over when I get a file sample.

Barry

Barry, that's why I said "or even just allow basic geometries through KML". It's easy to draw out features using the basic geometry tools in GE, lines, rectangles, etc. In fact I still do this on my phone despite having more capable features when prospecting because it's quick and easy and does the job. One can just import their "map" as a "track" and it need not be high resolution to be useful.

It's not a lot but it's better than nothing.

Also to consider is that the 7000 screen resolution itself is probably not too great in the first place, and also they appear to be internally restricting the memory at least when it comes to tracks because you are limited to only a small handful of saved tracks. So some of this conversation might be moot without Minelab opening things up a bit.

But once I get settled down I'll have some time to dig around and see what I can find, my machine is packed up right now.

Norvic, thanks I can't wait to get out swinging, I've been walking around the frozen, windy, gold-barren wastelands of the north familiarizing myself with the machine and I'm ready to start digging something real!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There currently is no import/export function and it is absolutely the number one thing limiting the usefulness of XChange and the GPS system as a whole.

That said I think I may be able to hack the system via a script. Hacks already exist for the CTX 3030 that can be applied to the GPZ 7000 but they are not something just anybody can do. Anyone interested can find details at Access and Export XChange Data and Direct GPS Track Data Extraction. I have used this information myself to import and export data from the GPZ to Google Earth and from my Garmin system.

An issue related to this is using two computers. Let's say I use a home computer for most work with XChange and use it as the main data repository. Now I take a laptop onto the field, and because the GPZ fills up to the max with data I dump it all to XChange on the laptop and erase the GPZ. Now I have some data on the laptop and some on the home PC. How do I get it all onto the main PC? An export/import function makes that easy. And of course makes it easy to use with other programs or Google Earth. I currently use a USB stick to store a master copy of the XChange file and move it from my laptop to my PC and back as needed, which is cumbersome.

I honestly do not see people really getting fully on board with this until an export/import function is implemented. Since this could serve both the CTX and GPZ user base a simple hack via a script might be worth a few bucks to the person that develops it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Has anyone been working on these issues?

I have come to this thread because I have a 3030 and a 7000.  My XChange for the 3030 will not 'see' the 7000.  Do I need to install it separately?

Has there been any work by Minelab on the import/export of data points?

I also have multiple computers and what about my android phone which could also show me where I have been and what I have found in XChange 2?

Mitchel

Yeah I can help you with all that but not right this moment. XChange does however work with both the CTX and GPZ from a single installation so make sure to download and use the latest version at http://www.minelab.com/usa/accessories-1/detecting-apps/xchange-2?view=downloads

You are out of luck with Android or Chromebook unless you export to another program. XChange only works with Windows or in a virtual machine running Windows in another environment. I have run XChange on a Mac using Parallels and Win7. But as I said, more later on that.