Forgot My Sandscoop!

Steve is right.  Digging a hole on a beach seems like a natural and you think you don't need to fill it.  That is not so.

Our holes are deep and have a sharp edge.  The runners who come back behind me who step in my hole would be hurt.  I would be hurt if I step in your hole.

Don't hurt me or anyone else.  Some beaches have already been closed and the life guards enforce it along with the police.

Hey guys thanks for the ideas. I did find a guy local "Dave`s Metal Detecting" What an awesome guy he sold me a good used scoop and gave some advice on surf detecting. If you are in Maui I recommend give the guy a call.

Yes, fill all the holes and be courteous to all the folks that come to chat about your detecting. You would be amazed at how much info they will share as to where stuff has been lost and most are just plain fun to chat with.

Personally. I always clean the beach as I go and it is not only a good thing to do but it is pretty hard to be upset with anyone picking up after others on their vacation.

I do love all the ingenuity that we bring to prospecting so keep the ingenuity forthcoming.

ALOHA

Well here is my take. Not overly impressive but for the first beach hunt I did well.

By the way what is a good way to clean the coins?

post-10-0-51057300-1426639573_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like some of my table top shots - good going. Nothing for it but to keep digging targets. Main thing is go where the tourists congregate in the water.

I toss the zincs, the rest I usually just wash under water enough to get attached sand off. At that point a Coinstar machine will accept them. The zincs are usually too corroded and not worth the effort.

I put my coins in a tumbler with sand for about an hour.  Add some detergent and then Steve is right, CoinStar them.  If you do Amazon you don't have to pay a fee.

The zincs self destruct anywhere, just happens a lot faster in salt water. Nobody going to be digging those coins in 100 years!

More bottle caps than I usually get - an area where the locals hang out? I try to stay in front of a tourist trap and in waist to chest deep water.

Steve what was your oldest coin there,do you recall, mine was only 1950's

i just thought the salt ate the older ones. Also have you kept track of how many rings you found while in Hawaii?

Well the vacation is over. Back home and time to clean up and check for silver.

Dose anyone have a good web site that gives silver content by year?

The beach I was hunting has a 1960 era resort and a lot of local surfing activity. I think a good mix of all hunting possibilities A lot of folks informed me of jewelry that had been found as well as lost that helped keep me motivated as I dug a lot of junk..

I did notice the most concentrated targets  seemed to be around entry points to the beach and launch points to the water. most of the body of the beach was sparse.

I found the two pieces of jewelry at the water line where the beach and the coral meet. Only coins and low value stuff on the beach.

I would say Steve is correct in working in the surf but I found this very challenging and would suggest caution if you don`t have a fair amount of experience in the water. Use a tether and some dive weights. BUT USE CAUTION.  Oh and surf shoes are a must!

Well This was my fist beach hunt and I absolutely had a BLAST.

FYI I need to clean the coins but the oldest I can see is 1968 most are 1990 and newer.