Chinavasion Metal Detector

Hi Steve, please I need your advise on the detetctor that I just ordered from China, Nugget 9.5inch, waterproof coil with 9.6khz. Its sold by Chinavasion. I actually ordered before getting to know about this site of yours and as someone with little or no knowledge about the detetctor, I go for something cheap and also with a reasonable depth. The depth of this machine is 3.5m. I am writing this because I could still cancel the order if I know it won't be functional. I also noticed yesterday that most of the detectors from US give 5yrs warranty while this one gave just 1yr warranty. Please kindly advise. Anybody else could give helpful hints. I will also like to know what the FREQUENCY rating means to a detetctor. Thanks

I would cancel the order immediately. If this is a 9.6 kHz detector with a 9.5" coil and they are quoting depth to 3.5 meters than I do not trust the company. That is a pretty outrageous claim. Detectors like that find coin size targets down to a foot at the very most and larger items at 2-3 feet at most. Better to be safe and do more research - you can always reorder later.

What are you going to use the detector for?

Frequency is a basic factor in determining the performance of a VLF metal detector. Under 10 kHz are normally coin detectors. 10 - 19 kHz are "do-it-all" detectors. Over 20 kHz are dedicated gold nugget detectors.

Multi-frequency units are good for most anything except prospecting. They are the best choice for salt water.

These are generalities only, not carved in stone. Gold nuggets have been found with multi-frequency detectors and coins with 50 kHz prospecting machines.

Some metal detector reviews can be found at http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm

• Like 1

The advice you seek should come from someone who owns one of these detectors.  Do you know anyone that owns one?

Where did you get the number of 3.5m?

Thanks Steve for the candid advise. The analysis on the impact of frequency on the metal target and efficiency really made my day. I believe that I am informed enough to look for a functional detector. I actually intend to start a small scale mining and really need to use the detector to know where the gold really is instead of just digging anywhere in the name of mining. At the same time, I will be using the detector to find nuggets around same place because the location is believed to have huge gold deposit but it is highly unexplored as well. Please don't hesitate to give me any additional information that you know will help my new found love. Thanks so much again Steve

Mn90403, thank you so much. I do not know anyone that owns the detector. A friend that has been involvd in prospecting is the one that advise me that I can get just any detector.

Kenny;

I'm sure everyone here truly wishes you the best of luck, but when it comes to mining you have to create your own luck. Your taking a big enough chance going into mining so don't add to the gamble with an unproven detector- definitely not one making unrealistic claims from China.

Steve has done a fantastic job archiving information on this forum and it will be invaluable for the detecting part of your operations.

Keep us informed on your progress.

• Like 1

Hi, I have tried to do some research so that I can decide on a detector to use based on some factors like the task I need the detetcor to do, the market reviews on the detector, the efficiency as noted by past users and of course my budget. I decided to stick to two out of the 5 listed detctetors. I decided on having two because of those that will be working with me. I listed them according to their appraisal from my research so far.

1, Tesoro Lobo

2, Makro Racer

3, Nokta Fors or Nokta Velox

4, White's MX5

5, Fisher F5

Please kindly send me your comments, advise or information that may be of use.

I sincerely appreciate everybody here and acknowledge the knowledge that has been impacted on me in less than 24hours of being a member of this forum. Great job guys! Keep it up!!