GPX Discrimination Question

Guest Paul (Ca)

Guest Paul (Ca)

Thanks everyone for jumping in and sharing information and your experiences with the GPX series,   Appreciate this allot have so much to learn and you guys are helping kick start me in the right direction. 

Ray,  You bet already got in touch with Daniel and he shared a ton of information especially with differences between the GPX 4500, 4800 and the 5000.  Thanks to Daniel it encouraged me to seriously look at a used model and which coils to purchase, With this found a used model from a well respected dealer in fact a dealer have purchased several detectors from in the past and was able to get three coils of my choice along with an extra battery.  The Pi should be here next week,  Lot's to learn and a ton of persistence to hopefully learn it well.  Will be using it mostly for relic hunting, Maybe in the distance future as a nugget Pi time will tell and of course finding time to get away for more than a day.

Klunker, Thanks for sharing your use of a DD coil and the moderate iron reject settings.  I really believe the GPX will be a major breakthrough for me as a relic detector based from my past experiences with the ATX, The ATX is great for some of my pounded relic sites and have heard so much about the later GPX series can see the advantage especially with high conductive.  However, Once seen a video with Bearkat testing the ATX and a GPX 5000 with four gold nuggets, Both the ATX and 5000 fared about the same.  But with some areas especially in relic sites can see an advantage with the GPX series having a faster recovery speed and better with high conductive and a much enhanced discrimination.

Ken Wells,  You bet check out those later areas these are were tent settlements strung up.  Have a few of these gold rush era tent sites to hunt myself and always find the coolest relics out there.

AUddicted,  No criticism from me I for one are open to your suggestions with open ears.  I hear you on the bubbly specific sounds I can relate with two past Pi's 10 or so years back.  Both the HeadHunter Pi and my GoldQuest PI had this funny audio with thin wire or hair pins, Out at the beach of course and boy did it work could call a hair pin almost 100% of the time. My other Pi's couldn't do this only these two...Keep up the hunt sounds like your doing well with finding gold with the SDC and GPZ.

retorted, Thanks for jumping in and sharing especially with the toggle switching and paying attention to the strength of the signal and what response the detector is giving.  Makes sense and that's about how I run the ATX,  You've got a good model the gpx 4800 is a winner it's no sleeper that's for sure!

Thanks Gold Hound, Man you're in a area rich with history. What we consider here to be old would clad or trash to you guys .  Continue to detect these old sites and thanks so much for sharing to get the larger mono coils for depth. May just do that,  Boy a 20" mono is really big maybe one of these day will see one in action and compare.

When the GPX arrives,  First site to hunt will be an old 1850 settlement. The first settlement in our area.  The Indians massacred the settlers here back in 1850, I've pounded the site to death so this will be a good place to test out the GPX  :)

Thanks again everyone!

Paul (Ca)   

Hello Paul,

Not much said here about the tones. You are familiar with the Infinium and ATX dual tone scheme Paul. A hi-lo or lo-hi tone is generated based on the targets relation to the ground balance setting. The Minelab PI detectors employ the same dual tone system. The tones work to full target depth unlike the discrimination feature, which only works at shallow depths.

Going by dual tones only you break targets down into two categories. Low conductive and small ferrous make a hi-lo tone. High conductive and large ferrous make a lo-hi tone.

For coins, digging only clear lo-hi will eliminate most trash and get high conductive coins (no nickels). The observation of many ferrous items producing warbly or bubbly sounds is spot on. Elongated or ragged edge ferrous will often give a mixed tone response. A coin or bullet will have a very solid smooth edged response.

The tones are standard in Normal timings but can reverse in other timings. Use Normal as the main reference. However, switching to other modes can give additional information about the target by noting if the tone changes or not. When I was hunting in Fine Gold I could get a lo-hi target. Switching to Enhance could change it to hi-lo, which in that particular circumstance meant a smaller gold nugget. If the tone remained lo-hi it was sure to be a larger gold nugget.

The tones when combined with the shallow iron blanking system make for a much better discrimination scheme that a person might think as time and accumulated targets train the ear. Of course it is never foolproof and when nugget detecting can be outright dangerous. Relic hunting however it would be the only way to go short of digging everything, which is just not practical in most sites.

I will be curious on your personal take of ATX vs GPX Paul. One thing for sure, the GPX has a vastly superior selection of coils for any circumstance that may arise. I prefer the ATX "iron adio" discrimination method over the GPX blanking system myself.

Guest Paul (Ca)

Thank you Steve appreciate the help,  Every bit of information is a plus at the moment being so new to the GPX series.  Taking notes from every ones advice including yours above,  Never thought about the tones being reversed between the ATX and GPX (hi-low/low-high).  Ok that may be a bit confusing in the beginning with the GPX having a reversed low and high conducive audio being so used to the ATX but I'll get used to it.

Yes,  Indeed will share my experiences between the two,  Really like the ATX but see the GPX having an edge for my type of hunting.  Funny thing for the different types of hunting I do will need both the ATX and GPX, And like you said the coil options with the GPX is great.

Thanks again Steve,

Paul