Any procedures to determine if a coil is bad?

what size, type and makers are you speaking of?

The first test is plug in another coil. if everything works with the replacement coil,than the  first coil is in some way faulty...

If you are using a Minelab Pi, a  mono coil will not work in cancel nor will it descriminate correctly....

I have had two commander dd coils that were faulty...apparently the person doing the soldering was incompetent or sleeping when they did them...fortunately I managed to resolder that connection and they both worked after my less than professional solder-job.

fred

I bought a Commander DD from a popular Ariz. dealer, I used it about 4 times, then It failed. The dealers response was "too bad-call Minelab".

I bought another new DD it failed after two uses. It was dismantled and found that the cause was exceptionally poor workmanship. Wouldn't buy another one at any price until I knew improvements were made. DD coils are getting hard to find. Anyone have suggestions?

Coils are the number one reason for detector failures, not including dead batteries. Even scarier are coils working but at sub-par levels. This is a situation where air tests comparing known good units can be useful. A properly tuned detector and coil combination should air test to X. Anything less indicates issues.

In the case of serious failures a coil swap is quickest, easiest solution. If the failure persists it is the control box.

There are few options in new DD coils for Minelab PI detectors these days since DD coils have fallen out of favor. Used is certainly an option.

Thanks for all the input guys