Visiting Little Sis in Sparks - Olinghouse?

Hello All,

I'm going to be visiting my mom, grandma (turning 90) and little sis in the Reno/Sparks area the end of next month and was hoping to take my ten year old nephew out detecting with me and my 5.5 yr old at least one day. Mostly time with uncle and hopefully a chance at some Nevada Gold. Cities are tough for me so i need somewhere i can get out and enjoy the beauty of the desert. Being a biologist whom has rarely traveled and studied the mountains of N.California my entire life the desert  habitats are just as alluring as the gold.

With my little research i learned of the Olinghouse and Peavine Districts being close. Looking at LandMatters claim maps it appears the areas are pretty much all claimed up as i'd figured. I was wondering if there is any unclaimed, not pay to mine and not gpaa areas to mine in these districts or any others close enough to be able to spend a day at without driving half the time? The historic gold produced in the Olinghouse District sure is beautiful.

If there are no areas for prospecting then i'll be going to some parks with the boys. I've hunted parks and the likes in my rural area but never in a city and was wondering if my GB Pro will be overwhelmed by EMI?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

AjR

No secrets needed - Thanks Chris,

I'll hit a few parks with the boys for some refined gold. They'd be happier doing that anyway. My five year old has an old Bounty Hunter Lone Star that i modded to fit him,hip mounted and all. it doesnt go deep but disc ot junk for him well.

AjR

There is some interesting history in the hillsides behind Genoa, that could be reached easily. Also in the pinenut range in the Minden Gardnerville areas. Olinghouse has some claimed areas, but there is open areas. I have a friend with a claim there that I may be able to get you onto for a day.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and the offer Ken! Talked to my sister this morning and she has plans for me to paint the trim on the second story of her house because she and her husband are scared of the heights. Gave me a chuckle but what am i to do. I'm going to likely hit the parks with the boys and then sis wants to take me somewhere towards Carson City for the second half of our free day. I will be making annual trips to the area now that my family has relocated there and would love to meet and get onto some Olinghouse ground for a day or two if possible.

I enjoy the strong community that is growing on this forum. If only we the people could come together aside from our unique characteristics and unite for the good of All instead of the Individual. Ooo philosophical man. LOL 

Adam,

Somewhere, as you climb the grade from Carson City to Virginia City, on the Carson City side, Is an old race track that was used when both cities were in their heyday prior to 1900. I was there once in the late 80's but I had a broken coil.

As I remember, while we were going up, it was down the hill to the left. I don't know the status of the ownership today. Would be a good place for a CC coin though.

Maybe a Goggle search would find something.

Might have been Lousetown??? Long time ago.

• Like 1