It Took 38 Nuggets To Break A Half Ounce

russ

Three weeks with the GPZ and I finally broke the half ounce mark. I got a little bigger nugget this week at 1.2 pennyweight.

The total weight now is 10.2 DWT's. They range from a couple that won't register on the scale in the grams mode all the way up to 1.2 pennyweight. 

38 nuggets and I still can't pin point with the GPZ and I'm not use to digging such small nuggets. They are adding up and after 3 weeks I've lost 15 pounds and the detector is getting lighter, and I'm getting the exercise the doctor ordered.

Some nuggets haven't had a bath yet. Enjoy the picture...

post-602-0-47415400-1427046695_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Dang Russ it is so sad you have to dig all those itty-bitty nuggets....just teasing.

You are moving and improving and getting little yellow rocks to boot, such a deal, my friend!

There is also the appparent proof that you guys did not miss any giant nuggets in those areas-so far.

What would you say is the deepest so far?

Also, have you found your favorite settings yet?

best wishes

fred

Thanks Fred, I sure hope you get you new GPZ soon...  I'm no expert but here's what I'm doing.

Gold mode - High yield will be 80% - 90% of your hunting when you get a target play with the settings by switching it to general mode but only if you are in hunting deep ground.  If looking for big deep gold use general mode but I think high yield will punch down to the big deep nuggets. Stay out of extra deep... I'm thinking that will be for the 20" coil.

Ground type - Difficult, but it will punch deeper if you can run normal, if it's to unstable in normal switch to difficult.

Audio smoothing - Off, it will go deeper with it turned off, but it might be good to turn it on low audio smoothing for the first few days until you get use to running with it off. It does smooth out the audio at the cost of depth, but you might hear a deep soft signal with a smoother audio. 

Sensitivity - Easy does it. It will be set to the type ground in your area but I'm running between 9 and 13. To much sensitivity will cause false ground noise because of hot spots in the ground and more hot rocks. 

I'm very surprised at the depth of the small nuggets... the deepest so far I'm guessing 13 inches on the 1.2 DWT nugget. 

• Like 1

Great information.

Thank you.

I'm pretty sure anyone would be happy with this nice looking gold.

I do note you have not picked up a bigger nugget, so if you feel I have lost the bet,

I will have to send you some sort of symbol of that loss.

Or, you will have found one by now and we're good.

Continued good hunting…it doesn't seem that luck is a part of it,

just a good detector in the hands of a good operator.

Oh and high five on losing 15 lbs, that's a real nugget.

Hey Russ,

Congrats on your finds.  That is 38 more nuggets than you had before, even though many will say it was a 10K investment to find a few more bits of gold.  

I'm not that much further above you on gold weight in 4 trips.  First trip was 8 nuggets for around 4 Dwt's.  Second trip on a few dinks, third trip was 8.1 Dwts (includes the 1/3 ouncer) and today 2 pieces for about a Dwt's. I'm close to 3/4's of an ounce, but far from paying from the unit.  My right arm is getting a great workout and I'm a bit fired up again about nuggetshooting with something new.