Prichard Creek Tailings Piles

Looking for information on detecting the tailings piles along Prichard Creek near Murray, Idaho.  I have to do some more research to see if the area is public land or private property, but curious if anyone has any experience with the area.  Looks like an interesting place to check out.

Hawkeye,

That's my neck of the woods during the summer months. There is a history of large multi-ounce nuggets being found in those dredge tailings. Not 100%, but pretty sure they are privately owned. Give me a shout if you visit the area.

Found my first nugget with a metal detector there 20 + years ago.

I heard the land has been sold but I haven't been able to get a straight answer

If you can detect the tailing piles or not.

I have heard yes you can and then I heard you can camp and hike but no to prospecting,

which will be enforced.

That's all private patented land along the creek except one small portion in the NW of section 28. Not surprisingly that small portion appears to be claimed.

The claim name? Gods 20 acres.

That took 4 minutes on the Land Matters Idaho Mining Claims map.

• Turn on the Land Status layer to see what's public land.
  • Turn on the PLSS layer to see what section you are in.
  • Turn on the Aerial Photo layer to see the tailings piles.
  • Click on the map while in "i" mode to get the link to the serial register page for the claim.

Bobs yer Uncle. :D

Barry

• Like 1

Wow!  Great.  I had looked for some others but couldn't get the last part of open or claimed on a specific parcel.

The serial register page only locates the claim to the NW quadrant Mitchel. It's a pretty good bet that the small portion of Prichard creek open in the center of the NW quadrant is where that claim is located but we can't know that for sure without getting a copy of the location notice recorded with the county.

That's why we provide a link to the County Recorder right on the claims map.  :)

There is no way Land Matters, or anyone else, can map claims to their actual boundaries across all those 387,800 active mining claims in the western public land states. We can get you within a half mile and provide the resources for you to get the rest of the answer yourself.

Barry

• Like 1

This area was sold last year and it still is private property. All I can say is that if caught you may be fined for trespassing. They will not give permission to hunt gold or be on it. There is always some one watching it. We tried to lease part of it last year and were refused.

• Like 2

Looks like that prospect is a no-go.  I guess the owners are afraid someone will destroy the "natural" setting of the tailings piles.  Or, they just flat don't like people on their land.  Thanks for info guys, and the lesson Barry.

There is no way Land Matters, or anyone else, can map claims to their actual boundaries across all those 387,800 active mining claims in the western public land states.

Barry

Pay attention class.  This will be on the test later !!

Barry, that should have been in BOLD.

• Like 1