Hi Steve, maybe you can clear something up for me. I recently sold my GB Pro in anticipation of buying a Nokta Racer or Gold Racer. I wanted a coin and relic machine that would be a back-up for my Deus, a spare detector for guests, yet also function as a VLF gold nugget machine for areas too trashy for my GPX 4500. I thought from early reports the Nokta machines would fit the bill. It seemed to be a turn on and go detector with many attributes a coin and relic hunter yearns for. It also has 3 tones(important to me for times when coin hunting is the only detecting available) which my GB Pro lacked.

Just recently on Tom's forum there was a video posted, kind of a shoot out between the F19 and Racer. In it the Racer VID's almost every high tone target at 82-84, regardless of composition or shape. What is the sense in having a nice big VID display if it calls everything the same number? Did you find this to be so in your evaluation? Does the Fors Core also lump many targets into a small VID window? I already own one VLF detector that you must audibly discriminate every target because the VID is poor. I was hoping to purchase a detector with better VID than the Deus yet still perform well in coin, relic, and prospecting applications. After watching that video I must question if I lent the Racer to a newbie if they would not just end up with a pocketful of aluminum when coin shooting.
I know there is no perfect detector for all uses. Also this is only one video and opinions can be manipulated although I don't think this videographer has an agenda other than providing info to help people. I am just wondering if this VID lumping is a deal breaker for me.

Hey Goldbrick I bought a racer to hold me over until the Gold Racer comes out.

I should get it tonight and I will be comparing it to my GB Pro this weekend.

I am hoping the Gold Racer is noticeably hotter than the Racer so I can have two of the same type detectors for different types of hunting and conditions.

The target id range for the Teknetics T2, Gold Bug Pro, F19, FORS Gold & CoRe and Gold Racer are nearly the same, with non-ferrous ranging from 40 to 99. High frequency detectors have more VDI spread on the low conductive end and compress more on the high end. Low frequency detectors just the opposite. The low conductors tend to be closer together, and more target resolution on the high end.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/532-nokta-fors-and-makro-racer-vdi-chart/

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/526-fors-gold-f75-v3i-tone-and-vdi-tidbits/

"Native" target VDI ranges can be "normalized". You are probably familiar with the fact that the DEUS VDI numbers change depending on the frequency you select. 18 kHz compresses high end numbers as described and in fact appears worse than some with most coins lumped in the 90s range http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=1428436&postcount=7. I believe the latest version of the software offers the ability to normalize VDI numbers across frequency choices?

The White's V3i lets you pick any one of three frequencies. You can run each frequency with its native VDI range, or chose to normalize the VDI numbers. Normalize means make them all the same, regardless of frequency. Usually they will be normalized to a middle frequency, in the case of the V3i it is 7.5 kHz.

So, if you really care about whether it is a penny or a dime or a quarter or a half dollar, running a detector in a low frequency is better, especially with native VDI numbers, as you get more target spread (less lumping) in the coin range. Conversely, for jewelry detecting running high frequency native VDI numbers gets you more spread in the gold/lead/aluminum range.

Bottom line, the Gold Bug Pro, F19, FORS Gold & CoRe, and Racer all lump copper pennies, dimes, and quarters into the same fairly tight range. Wouldn't you just dig them all anyway?

You want adjustable VDI spreads nothing beats a White's V3i.

post-1-0-79668400-1427422166_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-09897500-1427422396_thumb.jpg

I find it very hard to choose between the F19, Racer, and FORS CoRe. They are very close in performance. For those liking a long reach or the use of large coils, the FORS is better balanced. Racer is slightly nose heavy and F19 more so, making them better for short rods and small coils.

Interesting Australian opinion on F19 vs Racer in really bad ground https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11147

I am still holding out for the Gold Racer but do not know how long it will be. I will be using Racer and FORS and F75 until it appears, by which time I am also hoping the black and gold F19 will finally appear. I guess I will finally sort it all out by winter. I will probably have another detector clearance sale before the end of the year.

More information on the new Makro Racer

Just got my Racer and ran outside for some quick testing before it got dark.

Not sure what it is but I like the feel of swinging the GB Pro better.

Something to do with balance, arm cuff or both.

After that the Racer features drown the GB Pro and the menu design is awesome!

You can fly through the settings with ease and I did not even touch the manual yet.

Ya you can hunt coins with your Gold Bug Pro but the Racer is at another level of machine for all around

hunting.

The Racer didn't lump signals together any more than my GP Pro.

In fact it was easier to distinguish caps from coins (on top of ground for test) than the GB Pro.

If you raise the coil off the ground the ID numbers fall off fast but hold steady for coins.

Zink Penny 82.

Copper penny. 84

Dime. 84

Silver dime. 84-85

Quarter. 88

Silver quarter. 90-91

Steel cap. 82 but fades to 63-70 when coil is raised

Flat cap. 89. Fades and jumps from 83-91 when raised

Flat aluminum cap. 83. That one will get you

Numbers on coins lock nicely and don't jump much.

The Gold Bug Pro is a little hotter on the bick pen test as expected.

This was an extremely fast test but so far I am exited about the Racer.

I will try to get out and play with it over the few days.

Took the new Racer on its first hunt today at an early 1800s park that has been worked over for many years.

I went to a curb strip where I found a merc dime with my Gold Bug Pro last year thinking it would be a good test.

I detected a small section in 2 directions last year and hunted it twice after I found the dime and did not find anything else.

Within 5 minutes with my new racer I found a wheat penny about 6 inches down.

After working about 1/4 of the area I found 1 more wheat and an older memorial cent both a little deeper than the first.

The one thing they all had in common is they all had trash in the hole or right next to them.

I moved to a different area that has old as well as newer trash near the beach.

I got a nice copper penny signal and dug a rusty nail 6 + inches and thought the Racer got fooled.

Stuck my probe in the hole and got a signal. Went down a few more inches and picked out a wheat back

Directly below the nail.

Went a couple more feet and did the same thing with a clad dime just not as deep.

I am very impressed with the racer. Can't get over the menu setup. Brilliantly simple!

Move between all metal, 2 and 3 tone to check signals without even looking.

When I dug trash I knew I was digging trash. Coins just sound good and ID good.

It's hot on nickels too.

I know this is going to be a great all around detector.

I have not run the newer upgraded Fisher F75 but I did own a LTD model a couple years ago and I

Can say I would never trade this Racer for a new one.

As far as the Gold Bug Pro, the Racer is a significant step up as far as a coin machine which I know the GB pro was not designed for.

Can't wait to try it out in the gold fields.

post-255-0-34040600-1427517600_thumb.jpg

post-255-0-26226700-1427517631_thumb.jpg

post-255-0-92503900-1427517675_thumb.jpg

• Like 1