High-trash Area Prospecting VLF Or PI

Hello everyone,

I am seeking some input for a detector purchase. I live on the east coast and have access to historic gold fields in my area. I had a GPX5000 that I used out west, but recently traded it in for a GPZ7000. I had at least some degree of discrimination with the 5000, but nada on the Zed.

I am now looking to add another detector to the toolkit for the high-trash areas where I am detecting. This is strictly for prospecting, so I don't need an all in one detector. I am mainly interested in this for around the tailing piles and in areas close to the old mines. There is a lot of hunting on these properties also, so lots of shotgun shells, buckshot, birdshot, bullets, iron, foil, etc. Basically it is like a dump in some areas. 

The gold out this way is mostly small in size, less than an ounce for almost all nuggets. The soil is very mineralized also, red clays, with heavy mineral/iron content. 

I have been thinking about the FORS Gold, the Gold Racer (when it comes out), the Goldbug 2, and some other machines. I would really appreciate your thoughts on the best detector for my situation. The 7000 is great in the non-trashy areas, but I am spending more time lately in the thick of the trash and am going crazy.

Thanks,

Hound

I'd go FORS Gold because the pro package is the best deal around on a gold vlf right now. An old pro in my area has been doing very well with his. I love my gold bug pro though and you may be able to get a used one for a steal on ebay. If you do buy a Nel Coil - they are the best coils for the GB pro by far, epoxy filled and warrantied for 2 yrs.

AjR

Well heck, in high trash areas we used to get a good strong rake and attach some on them super-dooper magnets (neodymium magnets) and do a pre-rake. Boy howdy saves a lot of time no matter what you use vlf or pi. A friend told me about this website for them magnets, they got good service too http://www.gaussboys.com/ 

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the ideas. I have the original MXT, and may give that a spin to see how it does in these areas. I haven't really tried that as a prospecting detector, but it may find at least a starting point, then I can bring in some heavy-duty (Zed) equipment. Raking is a little tough in these areas as it is very overgrown with heavy roots and vegetation. If the MXT doesn't work out, I am leaning towards the FORS gold. 

I appreciate you all taking the time to reply, this is a great forum and the people here make all the difference.

Best,

Hound

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the ideas. I have the original MXT, and may give that a spin to see how it does in these areas. I haven't really tried that as a prospecting detector, but it may find at least a starting point, then I can bring in some heavy-duty (Zed) equipment. Raking is a little tough in these areas as it is very overgrown with heavy roots and vegetation. If the MXT doesn't work out, I am leaning towards the FORS gold. 

I appreciate you all taking the time to reply, this is a great forum and the people here make all the difference.

Best,

Hound

Good Idea, You know Steve used the MXT for this Very Same Job for Many Years, Back when Noah was Prepping for the big Flood, So Much So he has Many stories about them Right here You should Read Them, I do every winter, Truly Inspiring, And the MXT Is The GO TO Machines, as for the Fors Gold It is quite Good at doing the job, I know the Importer over here and he swears by them, I just insist on buying American Made Products because they have Changed my Fortunes Over Night, 

Anyway Good Luck, and here's the Link to Many of Steve's Epic Adventures,  http://www.detectorprospector.com/steves-mining-journal/steves-mining-journal.htm

This is a Great Story, http://www.detectorprospector.com/steves-mining-journal/minelab-gp3000-whites-mxt-fortymile-gold.htm

John

I'm wondering the same thing, I'm about to add a detector to the arsenal for high trash areas and probably 90% pure gold prospecting usages. I don't mean to hijack your thread but I was wondering is the F19 a good choice for a discriminating prospecting unit? I was really interested in seeing the Gold Racer but it's getting to the time where I need to make a purchase and can't keep waiting.

Seems like recent detectors are all pretty sensitive and deep (within a few inches) so it seems like the main criteria is superior discimination and target separation. Watching youtube vids and reading reviews (mostly coin/relic guys though) it seems to me like the F19 or the FORS is the best bet for those of us who can't afford the CTX?

I'm wondering the same thing, I'm about to add a detector to the arsenal for high trash areas and probably 90% pure gold prospecting usages. I don't mean to hijack your thread but I was wondering is the F19 a good choice for a discriminating prospecting unit? I was really interested in seeing the Gold Racer but it's getting to the time where I need to make a purchase and can't keep waiting.

Seems like recent detectors are all pretty sensitive and deep (within a few inches) so it seems like the main criteria is superior discimination and target separation. Watching youtube vids and reading reviews (mostly coin/relic guys though) it seems to me like the F19 or the FORS is the best bet for those of us who can't afford the CTX?

The CTX would be Next to Useless for Prospecting In Hi Trash Areas because of the Iron Masking which gives it A Slow Recovery Rate, which means you could easily pass over many Nuggets before the Threshold returns, And the Tracking system can not handle the Hot Ground Like the GMT, MXT and the Fors Gold or the F75 SE and the Gold Bug Range of Machines.

Check Out Steve's Recommendations Here, http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm

Good Luck, John

Thanks again everyone, great ideas flowing here. The other reviews are very helpful also. I am definitely going to take a look at Steve's stories with the MXT. I have had a great run with that machine hunting coins. Good hunting to everyone.