Advice Please On Treasure Hunting Detectors

I would like to know which appropriate and best all purposes detectors and especially for depth , I live in north Africa, a lot of treasure.. Many civilizations were here: romans, vandals, Berbers, Byzantines...and much more, I will be waiting your answers guys.

If depth is your goal I use a minelab gpx 4800 and a 18in detech sef coil for treasure hunting in europe with great success.

I dug my deepest treasure with this combo a bronze sword cica 600bc at 1.5m deep.

But it will do your head in if you are in an area with alot of modern trash or old iron trash as the discriminator is un reliable.

In a trashy area you are better with a VLF.

I use a minelab ctx3030 in trashy areas and it is my main detector for treasure hunting.

A detector for finding single coins is different than a detector made to find a large buried cache. Many treasure hunters looking for large items have used detectors like the Fisher Gemini 3 or White's TM 808. These are deep seeking detectors made for finding large buried items at depth. Specialty pulse induction detectors with large coils are also popular.

For information and reviews of standard detectors used for finding coin size and smaller targets at shallower depths visit https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors/

Fisher Gemini 3 For Prospecting

Important note: The chart and depths quoted are based on optimistic low mineral conditions. Real life results will probably be less impressive. Note: Newer thread on subject here.

whites-tm-808.jpg

fisher-gemini-3-two-box-detector.jpg

I like that both Fisher and Whites quote depths on buried cars. Real common item.

When Mount Saint Helens blew back in the 80s finding cars was common.

Ivan

• Like 1

Gold Hound do you have a picture of that Bronze sword. I would like to see that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have every generation of Fisher Gemini (I, II, and III). The reason they use a car for reference is because that is a best case scenario (for depth). If a car was buried at ten feet, a GPZ7000 wouldn't see it. Only a Two-Box or a Fluxgate Magnetometer (the mag will see ferrous metals VERY deep, but only ferrous metals hence the name MAGNET-ometer). 

The reason to use a magnetometer is because even though it won't see gold or silver, it will see the hinges, straps, lock, hasp of the box its in very deeply.

Mike

• Like 1

I have a Pulsestar 2 detector from Kellyco altho I got mine used for a lot less money. It has 10 inch, 18 inch and a 1 square meter coil and is a pulse unit.

A guy in Kansas, US, found a million dollar meteorite with a detector like this some years back.They had to use a backhoe tractor to remove it from 10 feet deep I heard, in a plowed farm field. He was using a coil rigged up to tow behind an atv and found it. He could cover a lot more ground this way vs on foot  and would put markers down for any signals he got to go back and dig later.He also had agreements made up with the local farmers to do his meteorite hunting on their land for a percentage. It was a known meteorite fall from the 1800's and he was looking for BIG pieces down deep.

I tried a Gemini 3 and the 2 box from Whites but sold both, too tricky and finicky to even tell when you have got a bonafide signal to dig,in my opinion. My Pulsestar has a control box you wear around your neck with a meter and crude discrimination for ferrous and nonferrous and you swing the 10 and 18 inch coils on a rod like most detectors.The 1 square meter coils requires a special harness or 2 people to make use if it. I never tried this detector for gold nugget hunting, wonder how it would do?

• Like 1