Huge Problem With Wireless Module For GPZ 7000

A cautionary tale.

Chris Ralph and I were out last week prospecting for new ground. Lots of driving and hiking, not so much detecting, but we each snagged a couple nuggets. Chris with the SDC 2300 and me with the GPZ 7000.

The very first location I pulled my GPZ out of the carry bag and looked in the side pocket where I just knew I had put the wireless module, spare battery (from my CTX 3030), and charger. No module! I was sure I had put it in there but maybe fell out? It was not on the ground, I looked in truck a bit, and finally just used my Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones for the trip.

Got home, carefully took everything out of truck, looked in every possible bag and container. No good. Must be downstairs with my gear. Over an hour of looking, nothing. Hmmmmm - $250 gone missing, this is starting to worry me! And no replacements available for purchase at this time. I contacted Chris and asked him to look in his stuff that was in truck in case it fell in something he ended up with. I starting formulating sad stories to tell Minelab, pretty easy because this was looking sad.

Chris reported he did not have it. Next day I proceeded to use this excuse to clean up my mess downstairs. Finally, after two hours I spied the little bag my Sun Ray headphones had been in and which I had put module in before pulling it all back out and putting in detector bag. And there the module was tucked in a little inner pocket. What a relief.

OK, that sure is not going to happen again. I will treat that wireless module like a big gold nugget. Luckily the GPZ can just utilize regular headphones but I really have grown to like not being tethered to the machine. And they sure are not cheap to replace. Keep good track of yours - you have been warned!

Free bonus tip, do not forget about the hidden reset button on the WM 12 as shown below. Also, keep the module in clear line of sight with the pod on the GPZ. The signal has a hard time going through the human body so keep the module on your side closest to the hand gripping the GPZ.

mineab-gpz-7000-wm-12-wireless-module-functions.jpg

• Like 1

I have considered getting a second one. JP always runs stereo external speakers, one on ear shoulder. To do that you need an audio booster and two external speakers, not a cheap date if you get the good stuff. You can pair multiple WM 12 modules to the GPZ so I have toyed around with just getting another and putting one on each shoulder. Something to think about anyway.

I have found the WM 12 can slip off your belt or harness easily when bending over - be careful.    I've also run with a rattler headset plugged directly into the GPZ and the WM12 on my belt - primarily because my wife said it was not fun if I just used the headset and she could not hear anything. :wub:

I have discovered another problem with the WM12 that I did not experience with the WM10.

There is a rubber cap that protects the connector on the WM12.  This cap has a little 'flap' and today when I went out to use it I discovered that the flap is only held on by less than 50% of the remaining flap.  I don't remember ripping it back like that but it has happened.  Maybe some kind of glue will help it.

I'll have to call MineLab and ask them about a replacement.

I took my WM-12 out of its clip harness and affixed it to the cross-piece of the pro-swing harness; that way the speaker is pointed directly at my face and is centered so the sound hits both ears equally. And the industrial strengh velcro used prevents it from accidentally coming off.

post-401-0-43175500-1428618577_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Typical early season "working the bugs out" stuff. Thanks to a Good Samaritan I did not get left out with a dead truck battery! Backup starter/deep cycle battery with charging station and solar panel now ready to go on future outings.

Kind of the same deal with the module. I have been experimenting with different audio and harness options. Decided I do not need the full harness setup - my little Camelback style rucksack and bungee setup suits me fine. So now I will put a pouch on the pack just for holding the WM 12 and that will be the end of that nonsense.

• Like 1

I received a Minelab hat and key chain registered post yesterday with the booklet on the 7000 congratulating me on my purchase.

Nice thought.

Would rather be able to get second WM12 unit, carry bag, spare battery, 20 inch coil etc etc right now ........  

Cheers

BB