Minelab CTX 3030 Aa Battery Pack Will Not Work On GPZ 7000

The rechargeable battery for the Minelab CTX 3030 is a 7.2V 34Wh unit that will also work on the GPZ 7000 and run it for about 4 hours. I have a CTX 3030 and have used the battery on my GPZ with no problems at all.

The CTX 3030 also comes with a backup system designed to use 8 AA batteries http://www.minelab.com/emea/products/consumer/accessories/batteries/replaceable-battery-pack I wondered if this would work at all on the GPZ 7000.

I put eight fully charged Duracell 2400mAh NiMH rechargeables in the battery holder and tried it on my GPZ 7000. Nothing, it would not power up at all. I then tried eight new Energizer alkaline batteries. Still nothing. Finally, I tried eight new Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries http://www.energizer.com/batteries/energizer-ultimate-lithium-batteries and still no go. The GPZ would not even flicker.

So we know a CTX 3030 will run off eight alkaline batteries but a GPZ 7000 will not. I was hoping if all it did was run an hour at least that would be something. I suppose the battery wizards here can figure a way to pack smaller higher capacity batteries into the adapter but I am leaving that project to somebody else.

The 7.2V 34Wh rechargeable battery pack for use with Minelab CTX 3030 is Product Number 3011-0118. It is compatible with the GPZ 7000 and will provide about four hours of running time. It is available for around $149 at various dealers.

post-1-0-18858800-1428686751_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm thanks, good to know! I was actually just about to order one to keep in my pack for emergency backup situations.

Over voltage rate for the battery pack. Its a quick guess but the GPZ probably wont accept voltages much in excess of 7.2v and probably lacks a regulator to tame higher ratings. Cant run the detector hot is my guess without playing with it. Good to know. NiMH pack at 8 cells is around 9.2Vdc *1.2vdc cell* and alkaline boosts to 12Vdc *1.5vdc cell* assuming series configuration. Did not check the spec on the LI cells but I suspect its similar. Could you put a meter on it, the spare cell pack, Steve if you have the time?

Possible solution is to add a small regulator to the CTX pack to limit the voltage.

Well off to day dreaming.

The good news is I did not blow anything up. My regular pack is now charged up and I put it on and the GPZ boots up just fine. Instead of a regulator a couple dummy batteries might work but then have an even shorter run time, whatever it would have been. I will check the pack with a meter but I am sure you are correct DDancer.

In theory it should work, just like on the CTX 3030. Maybe the GPZ as suggested cannot regulate the higher voltage down properly? Mine GPX was very early off the production line and lacks such a capability? I do not know. I am very curious to see how it works for you so please do report back. Thanks!

Maybe the GPZ as suggested cannot regulate the higher voltage down properly?

If that's the case Steve maybe the rechargeable AAs (1.2V) will work. I can't try it because I don't have mine yet. We use the Sanyo Eneloops successfully in just about everything else we have.

G'day Steve

We have just purchased one of these and should get it this week by post from a dealer here in Aus, I hope it works but now am unsure.

http://www.goldcitydetecting.com/onlinestore.htm#!/Battery-Holder-CTX3030/p/46584978/category=12092630

"This is a Minelab replacement battery holder to suit the CTX3030 detectors and will also suit the GPZ7000"

"Compatible Metal Detectors

CTX 3030

GPZ7000

*Stand alone battery pack is not waterproof. To become waterproof the battery must be attached to the waterproof seal on the CTX 3030."

cheers dave

Hi Dave,

That is from my website, or should I say was, as I have modified the item info.

I'm not sure where I got that info from, and have put some holders into stock on the basis, but have checked just now as I saw this thread and they are not compatible with the GPZ from what I see.

I also fitted 8 x AA's into a holder and the GPZ doesn't fire up. Further inspection shows that the CTX AA holder (and presumably the battery also) has the positive and negative pins side by side at one end, and the GPZ battery has the positive and negative at opposite ends of the pin socket.

I don't want to be the goose that modifies a CTX holder and finds the GPZ lets the smoke out.

I must apologise for the incorrect info and have modified the item to reflect this.

Cheers.