More GPZ Nuggets

russ

Russ, I forgot to ask how;  how are the signals to your hearing ??? The little ones I found at the dale were barely whispers and not more than 2 or 3 inches in bad ground. The biggest was a solid signal at 6-8 inches...

I am wondering if you find the signals on deeper targets distinct or the questionable-better-scrape type??? I hope this is a clear question...

thanks

fred

On 4/13/2015 at 9:53 AM, fredmason said:

Russ, I forgot to ask how;  how are the signals to your hearing ??? The little ones I found at the dale were barely whispers and not more than 2 or 3 inches in bad ground. The biggest was a solid signal at 6-8 inches...

I am wondering if you find the signals on deeper targets distinct or the questionable-better-scrape type??? I hope this is a clear question...

thanks

fred

Fred, are you running with audio smoothing off? If not that will definitely help out with the questionable targets, so will running in normal ground if possible.

Most of the 25 nuggets were very obvious targets that were missed in the difficult mode, a few were soft subtle targets I had to scrape down to hear as obvious targets. If I'm in a known patch I'll do whatever it takes to run in the normal mode with audio smoothing off, that may not be possible in some areas but as shown in Jason's video there's a big difference between the two ground modes. I also proved it to myself by going back and finding the 25 nuggets missed detecting in the difficult ground mode.

Thanks again to Jason for taking the time and effort to make the video! 

• Like 2

Normal is always my default ground setting unless forced to do otherwise. From http://forums.nuggethunting.com/index.php?/topic/11331-nugget-1-of-5-gpz7000-03192015-4-gram-8-inches/

"Always at least try to run in Normal ground setting. If you can't get it to settle down in Normal, no big deal, just go back to Difficult. Normal is certainly not just for coins and relics, it is the hottest setting for gold if the ground allows it. It adds considerable punch on small nuggets in milder ground. Probably not going to work many places in Arizona but I have had good success with it in Nevada and California."

and at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/827-minelab-video-gpz-7000-ground-type/?p=8258

"Obviously the Gold Modes are causing far more questions for people than the Ground Type setting. My only note here is to say I have been finding the Normal/High Yield combination quite possible at various locations in California and Nevada, typically where there are lighter colored soils. Some areas it is a total no-go but in the U.S. at least be sure and do not fall into the habit of always using the Difficult setting. Give Normal a try, and go back to Difficult if need be. The sensitivity to small items gives the SDC 2300 a serious run for the money, even with the larger coil, while delivering more depth on larger nuggets.'

I always run Smoothing off. Sensitivity normally never higher than 12 and possibly as low as 6.

• Like 2

Normal/High yield, smoothing Off, volume to 12 whilst on speaker, rest at default for me so far but the GPZ`s definitely training me and no doubt need a lot more use before anywhere near getting the max out of it. It is not the simple beast it first appeared to be.

No doubt I could learn a lot more about the settings;

IF

I was smarter

could remember what I just did

and was not in such a panic to dig that target, especially when I think it is gold.

I am learning and will certainly entertain all suggestions that I can...

thanks

fred