Told the wife about this thread and of course she said i better get me a locator this summer since she knows i'll be hiting it harder than ever with my new SDC. I plan on climbing into some pretty hairy waterfalls that historically produced allot of gold and to my knowledge were impossible to dredge. A friend and his partner climbed into one such fall and pulled out 3 Oz's in the late 70's. Looks like i'll be getn one in the next month or so.

Thanks for all the good info everyone.

AjR

I listened to part of an interview with a couple that were sailing around the world with their infant and other children. They had a satellite phone. Just after a call to the Coast Guard the phone went dead. When they sorted the problem out (after getting home), The Sat-co had changed sim cards and MAILED the replacement to their address...pretty stupid - and could have cost them their lives.

fred

Fred, that sounds eerily similar to a problem I had with a Sat. phone. I was working on an deep sea tugboat when our satphone quit working. Every time we came in to port we would work on this problem. After two months we finally figured out is was not an equipment malfunction but a glitch in billing so the sat phone company suspended service with no notification. Because some desk jockey in the company office was the account administrator not the tug crew we had a hell of a problem figuring that one out.

In Australia Sat phones can call emergency services numbers even if you have no credit or havent payed your bill.

• Like 2

That's a great photo. It took me a while to find him.

It's surprising how few snakes you meet while out detecting but I guess it's because they feel you coming and move out of the way. Not so this little fella. He stays put and wiggles the end of his tail as a lure (not for prospectors but for edible prey):

post-597-0-87854100-1429658130_thumb.jpg

In Australia I consider this Death Adder to be potentially the most dangerous of our many venomous snakes because you are more likely to accidentally step on him. He ranks about fifth worldwide on the list of poisonous land snakes, and is not very aggressive but takes offence when trod on. I didn't meet this particular one while detecting , but when I returned to the vehicle.

post-597-0-15908600-1429659072_thumb.jpg

He eventually moved out of the way, but was there each day when we returned to work what we unsurprisingly called the "Death Adder" patch.

Still I like that "rattle" system; wonder if it could be retrofitted to our snakes.

• Like 3

Cool pics Col!! I actually like snakes,as a kid,I lived in Kansas,then Georgia,and eventuallt California. Me and some buddies would go snake catching,always had a kingsnake,ratsnake or some other harmless snake in a terrarium.

• Like 1

I dont like them at all..... especially after being bitten--they hold NO beauty for me...

only pain...

---

I'm with you on that one. I've treated quite a few dogs and horses bitten by rattle snakes ( another horse yesterday) although rarely fatal it can take weeks to recover. I have no problem "offing" a venomous  snake in the vicinity of people and pets.

strick    

Me too, I just leave them alone. Had an acquaintance attack a taipan with a long handle shovel bit him on the hand, they are that quick, hardly got into vehicle when he started bleeding from the eyes than died.