Steve different freguencies by a lot...I think the gb was around 30 and the gb2 is around 70...more or less.

I found my first gold with a Gold Bug...but, I found a lot more with the GB2...however it took around 500 nugglets to make my first oz...what fun!

I found the GB2 to be much easier for me to use...

I hope you and Mrs. D are doing well...

fred

• Like 2

The original Gold Bug needed to be rebalanced every three steps- the Gold Bug 2 every five steps. The son of a guns sure did find that little gold but I don't have the patients for it. I got my first gold bug to find iron in timber before I sent it to the mill. In that situation it worked perfectly.

How is the I.H. dig going?

The original Gold Bug was a simple all metal 19 kHz detector but running at a lower gain than today's 19 kHz models. No discrimination but otherwise a fine detector. Due to the lower frequency it is more forgiving on ground balance than the Gold Bug 2 and will punch deeper on big gold. Only coils made specifically for the unit will work on it. There were four, a 4" round, 4"x6", 5"x 10", and 8"x14".

The Gold Bug 2 is 71 kHz, much hotter on tiny stuff, but more reactive to ground and hot rocks. It also has the iron disc circuit. Only coils for the GB2 work on it, there are three. 4"x6", 5"x10", and 8"x14".

There. You see, everything works sdrawkcab for me. I only spent a little time with the GB2 but it seemed to be a bit less frustrating.

EL D- I still have the GB!. Just can't seem to part with it but your welcome to long term borrow it. It's old and been knocked around on the logging jobs so if it blows up don't worry. I am amazed at how tough it has been.

The ground balance is dictated by the ground....

I ground balance my GB2 maybe once or twice a day.  Sometimes only at startup then it's good for the rest of the day.

I occasionally run into a spot that is so hot ground balance is almost useless.

Had to check. I do still have the 4 inch and the 4x6 inch coil for my Gold Bug. At 19 KHz I wonder if they would work on my F19? Would it hurt to plug them in and see?

Thanks for all the replies.  I did not realize the difference in frequencies.  I have an opportunity to trade my GB Pro for two original GB's.  I trhink I will keep the GB Pro.

Klunker..... Indy Hill has been on hold for a bit, was gone most of the winter and returned to very busy times.... soon to be continued

Had to check. I do still have the 4 inch and the 4x6 inch coil for my Gold Bug. At 19 KHz I wonder if they would work on my F19? Would it hurt to plug them in and see?

I was told directly by Dave Johnson (the designer) that the coils are not compatible between the original Gold Bug and new Gold Bug. I doubt it would hurt anything though to try it.

I like the old Gold Bug and still have a new 4" round coil rat holed away just in case I ever got one again, but the lack of iron disc is the big problem. If I want to dig it all, I will use a PI.