Maybe An Amazing Find

May be just a coincidence in fact should definitely say it is but then !!!!!. Fred relooking at photo it does have some resemblance to a lizard-head, the coincidence is, I refer to  the creek,as Lizard Ck., and have so since finding, because there is a lot of lizards there. Somewhere in my fragmented memory banks I recall a "series" called believe it or not, I think this coincidence would slot right into that.

Steve thank you for having such a forum that I felt comfortable telling my story, has taken a lot of years and only a handful of people would have handled this nugget. That I know of that is, I did have it stored with a trusted independent person who tried to sell as is at arms length for a few years.

• Like 2

Perhaps I could have chased around more to sell as is, but none of the offers I did receive for it came near what I got for it smelted down. But if fellows like JP and GoldHound, those who do it full time tell of their amazing finds when they retire, you`ll see there is a lot of pieces like it and a lot better looking and larger out there. I really don`t believe there is a big enough market out there. When I showed it to the gold buyer I sell through, he didn`t hesitate, crush it, smelt it and I`ll send it off to the mint he said and save yourself a lot of bother.

The thought never crossed my mind, that you could have a nugget too big that no one would offer money for it and the only option is to scrap it. Anyone else run into this problem?

I guess the question would be how many have made the choice to scrap verse`s  saving it for good?

• Like 1

Yes, I think a lot of part timers save it for good, I did until I realised I`ll never be comfortable showing it for safety reasons, then as I aged why not crush and sell. I have sold nuggets of sub grammers to about 10 grams via Ebay in OZ but the larger ones ounce and up  went to US or Germany. I guess it is a population thing our 20 mill against your 300mill, just not the buyers here. It would be interesting hearing what JP and the Gold Hound do with their large ones.

I do know of brokers who do just that and travel over to the US and Europe. That requires trust to hand to them. End of the day crush, smelt and sell to Perth Mint (AGR) no drama plus there is that other creek out there calling you with bigger and better just over the next ridge. For sure I can feel it.  :)

It is different when I see those lovely crystallised gold speci`s you folks find over your way, they are a thing of beauty.

Nice one mate!

Any one would be happy with that!

All of my largest finds have been crushed and melted, too much bother dealing with scabs and time waisters.

Much easier to deal with a reputable gold assayer or buyer.

• Like 1

In the past I've sold a lot of large pieces to an Australian buyer at spot because he will eventually donate to a museum, nuggets sizes ranged from 20 ounces through to 83 ounces. Otherwise unless the piece is beautiful or jewelry quality into the melting pot it goes to fund the next prospecting trip.

Seems harsh but I made a decision long ago that the lifestyle was of more value to me than the bragging rights of still having the gold sitting in the dark in a bank vault somewhere. 

JP

• Like 5