Purchasing A Minelab F3 Compact Tomorrow I Think, Thoughts?

Let us know what you think of your new detector once you have it in hand.

I think it'd be grand to see what happens with this.

Just saying. *irked* hrmhph.

Most I think get re-cycled for non military uses in finding and removing land mines. There are non-government agencies involved in land mine removal for humanitarian reasons.

I would like to hear your thoughts after you've had a chance to give it a spin as there are few of them out there being used for prospecting and it would be interesting to know.

I am very curious to hear what you think also. My main concern is not that it can find gold. Any decent detector can in the right hands. The ground handling capability would be my main concern. Most mine detectors run in what is effectively a non-motion mode for maximum sensitivity. They are made to search small areas and difficult to use compared to most prospecting detectors.

Of course mods can fix this sort of thing if a person has the ability and desire. Obviously in your case this is just a desire to try something different and I appreciate that. I really do hope you share your overall thoughts on the practicality of the unit once you have the chance to use it.

"

i wouldnt expect minelab to just sell the parts, but certainly they realize that as these become available people will want to maximize its real ability. i would have no problem sending it in to hq. for retro-fit for reasonable amount."

How very wrong I was. E mailed doc, he said they wont even consider it, in fact they wont repair anything before the 4000. They have stopped supporting the OBSOLETE detectors?.

This has me very cruntled. so i buy a gp xtreme cause i cant afford that 5000$ gpx 5000 , it has a problem and im out 2000.00 because its obsolete and they wont repair.

with a philosophy like that i hope to see a significant price reduction!!!

Anybody got a non m.l. pulse induction machine on that "sumthin 4 nuttin" end of scale-doesnt have to be purdy-just work.

as of now the f3 adoption is on hold.

Got to go, i have to go set my corner posts..

hopefully the mountains will settle me down.

GOOSFRABBA

Ahhhh... the mountain did settle my down(via a good hike with a couple 8' 4x4 posts).

Jury is still out on f3, havent heard from seller today. i may still do this just to appease my curiosity,and provide some input to the forum.

I just couldnt hardly believe the under 4000 model repair bit(and thats enough on that subject-blood pressure is increasing)...........aaahhhh

Annnyyyyway, found a couple shot shells, 22 cal. bullet, and a steel mystery find.

2 posts on one arm, gmt in the other. i got a late start so only 2 got planted, and snow was trying to fly as i left. i had planned on going up tomorrow anyway so two more posts no biggie, but gotta hike back to post anyway- dropped damn rechargable battery and didnt notice.

was thinking on way home...would be nice- mil-spec, snow and mud proof...if it could only hunt gold. probably just have to get an atx.

From everything you have said, I would say get the ATX. Sometimes its just easier and cheaper to get what is already out there instead of trying to make something into something it was never intended to be. Good luck in your search.

Ken, I think youre right. i am still curious about them though, i was electrician in navy and understand a little electronics. i rather enjoy tweaking something once in a while.

e mailed couple people abt. mods, havent heard back yet.

if i get it, it will be for short term evaluation(unless we can tweak it), then i would send it on to next curious individual.

was gonna make that z my target machine long-term, now i think i will just look for that smokin atx deal.... if i dont feel good abt not spending 10k i will just have to buy a tdi too.