SDC Over Load Signals On Gold?

bado1

The skunk got a hold of me too today. So did my office which cut my detecting time short. I had to leave about 11:00.

My buddy and I hunted archery Javelina in this spot in January and liked the looks of it for detecting. We have a couple of worn out patches near by so figured it would be promising. He went back there a month or so ago and scored a single multi-gram nugget. He must have found the only gold and got all the trash too because I didn't hit a single target. Not even a bullet. Very strange. I did encounter my first hot rocks that the SDC struggled with though and wore off some boot leather kicking them out of the way. Other than the rocks the machine was very stable in this ground. No rain or even much in the way of clouds.

Next time I take a day off my phone stays home!

I hope you beat the skunk on your next outing. Hang tough!

Dean

P.S.- Are you stationed down there? Marines?

Bado 1, i noticed the same thing with 2300 with the different sounds on lead mainly,and some small iron sounds differently. On your adapter for less than $10 i made my own ,only 2 wires red and white used. The black wire is not used here even though it is being said it pulls out of the minelab plug easily.

I put the standard 1/4 stereo plug back on the koss for spares, I also wrapped the complete adapter cord with emergency silicone tape no way of pulling on the wires now. Hope this helps,

• Like 1

AjR,

We've only been to this place twice now so we didn't clean it up. Someone did though it would seem. Strange though, as no one can get all of the gold and all of the trash as well. There was no evidence of prior detecting in there. Maybe ninjas with detectors?

Are you getting out this weekend?

Rick,

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck!

Dean

• Like 1

Good luck on next trip. I'm headed out tomorrow and hope to shake the stink as it looks like the 100's are gonna be here soon and once they get here they like to stay for a few months. In Yuma by choice and circumstance, not USMC or Army but I can hear em all the time with the detector.

• Like 1

Best of luck tomorrow! Yep, next week  is gonna get warm. I've been scouting some areas up here in the pines for some summer detecting. I've got my eye on some promising looking ground and, hopefully, I can get out this weekend and swing the SDC  over some of it . The biggest challenge is that so much of it is claimed up its hard to find open ground. 

My daughter is married to a Navy Corpsman who is assigned to a Marine unit. He is on deployment currently and will be back in June.

She told me yesterday that after they are done in Hawaii they will be reassigned to either San Diego or Yuma. She is praying for San Diego. Either is good for me as she will be much closer.

Kill that skunk tomorrow! Good luck.

Dean

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks!

I was asked about the overload on the SDC recently on Tnet so i conducted a test and figured i'd post my results here also.

I did this quick test in my yard which has moderate soils of 68 on my GB Pro. I plan on doing a test in hot soil also but may be shy some nuggets to do so because im currently liquidating my stash as to pay for my Zuma ( not the 1/4 Ozer though - plan to make it into a necklace for my wife). I used the stock setting of Sens. at 2 with threshold at 3 with my Grey Ghost Headphones. I used 1/4 oz, 2 dwt, and 1 dwt pieces for my test.

The 1/4 ouncer overloaded at 4 inches and closer and the 2 dwt piece at about 2 inches. The 1 dwt piece screamed with the coil directly on it and up to an inch but didnt hit the overload pitch. Yet if i put another small piece, say .1 gram it hits the overload pitch. So it seems that gold smaller than 1.5 dwt wont overload even if directly on coil while gold over 1.5 dwt will hit overload pitch at about an inch.

As you all know the conditions of the soil and shape and angle of the gold all determine its response on our detectors. Thus it is what it is. A guide line at best. I know that i'm still amazed at how strong the signal is with tiny gold on this machine. Now if i can just get time to get out and find me a new spot. The itch needs a scratchn!

I love to hear from others on what they've noticed.

Good Luck - Happy Hunting!
AjR

Nuggets are in order of size

post-661-0-95447500-1430966108_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for running the test and posting results. My brand new replacement SDC was shipped to me and should be here in time for the weekend. As long as it works better than the first one I'll be back out soon. Currently in Prescott Valley and did some panning on Lynx to scratch the itch. Managed a few colors and it was nice country. Hope to be back up later this month and maybe get out with Dean or some others who are up here. Thanks again AjR and good luck out there.

Awesome test AjR! Thanks for doing that.

I've been super busy and haven't had a chance to get out. Hopefully, we can get together later in the month Azavsfan. I will be looking forward to it! How did you do at Lynx?

We are going to a new EHR (electronic health record) in my office (I'm a chiropractor) and it has thrown a major stick in the spokes of our operation. Totally messed up our system today. The IT guy is trying to work the bugs out. It's gonna take a couple of weeks to get everything up to snuff. Totally messing with my detecting time!

Anyway, thanks again AjR ...much appreciated!