Advice on Detecting in Bear Country

Need some advice for detecting out in the bush here in Alaska. Keep both earphones on? Keep one on and listen for bears with the other? Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? How about full earphones vs. in-ear phones? Thanks.

Full set of head phones.That helps with the wind noise and keeps your ears warm. I use Detector Pro Nugget Buster phones. You can adjust the volume on each side if needed or turn one side off completely.

44 MAGNUM STAINLESS STEEL NO EXCEPTIONS !!!!!!. 

As a side benefit. No one will give you crap about digging holes if you have one :)

Thanks for the info -- Does a .454 Casull count for a .44 mag stainless?  I keep it close for those intimate moments...  :)

I think what I'm going to try is an in-ear phone like the Shure.  Love my old Grey Ghosts, but I just want to hear what's going on when I'm out in the bush.  I've had a few "close encounters" already -- I want to hear the 'huff huff and breaking branches before I look up and see a grizz or blackie looking at me for a snack! 

• Like 1

357 Mag or sjmpainters 44 Mag - A good Dog or two and as ShastaGH said the Rattlers would be my get up. I hunt were there are lots of Cougars, Rattlers and good old Mr Black Bear. The Wasps and ticks bug me the most but i hunt with one earphone off when cruisen a new area but pull the other one on when slowing down and really working an area. I depend on my dogs tremendously when i cruise the forest detecting. I've always had a dog as long as i can remember so its natural to me. When i occasionally hunt areas close to a busy road and i leave the dogs home it funny because i mentally feel that my perimeter watch as i call it is down.

External speakers would be great - unless Ole Grandfather Brown Bear gets curious about those funny ass noises in the bush - Lol.

Guns and Hand Grenades my Uncle used to say

AjR 

• Like 2

Jup a 454 will do it. Heavy but better than the frying pan idea.

A good dog is probably the best. They will take a bear for you.

Not sure I would like in the ear phones. If you go that way give some feedback. I am curious.

If anyone has experience with wireless system I would really be interested in that. I can see that being the hot ticket in brush.

AjR have your uncle PM me on the grenades, that just sounds like a blast.