GPZ Concern

Big, deep nuggets are extremely rare too.

I think anything that's large, metallic and detectable in the ground that's buried in known goldfields regardless if you have an SD 2200 or GPZ 7000 has probably already been dug up at this point over the last 20 years.

I think it'll take a very special big, deep nugget under unique circumstances for anyone to dig anything really valuable with a GPZ. In the meantime most of us GPZ owners will be digging a lot more common, smaller nuggets that were too deep for a VLF or SDC 2300 and too small in tough, mineralized soil for a GPX.

That seems to really be the trend lately in the heavily detected patches out there.

There still may be some big ones lurking out there but it'll have to be in a spot where someone with a GPX and a big coil didn't swing that day and where someone REALLY good with a GPZ has ;)

I think the odds are pretty high that it was in the side of the hole or you over dug this one. It's easy to do especially with this new coil. 

Give it a test, it's not possible for the GPZ to hit a 0.20 gram nugget (even a solid one) at 14 inches unless maybe it was squashed out to the size of a piece of a notebook paper.

On my first time out using the Gpz I dug a 2/10 of a gram at around 14 inches

I've seen Swifty find a couple of small nuggets.  The two I saw him find were a bit flat.  He's been at this finding gold game for a long time.

I'm not able to report finding any gold on the same patch with my 7000 but I did hear his first signal before he dug it up.

Thanks Swifty.  It helped me determine my headphones needed replacing.

Mitchel

AUddicted I'll be out in the Dale district at a club outing this weekend if your in the southern ca. area and want to see

if both detectors are getting the same depth over the same targets and ground using the same settings.

jasong it may have fallen out of the side of the hole I was digging, it was a deep one hears the video link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFQ_a8AvRfs

• Like 1

Hi Swifty I remember this video when it first made the rounds.

I'm certain that the target is in the side of your hole about where the dirt changes from grey to brown and at about the 11 O'clock position to you as you are standing over the mound digging.

Notice that the target is very loud at the first boot scrape, even a solid 2 gram nugget at 14 inches won't sound that loud. Also, the target gets appreciably louder - almost screaming - on your first pick scrape at about 1:30 but never really increases in volume for the next 4 minutes of digging deeper, I think it's because you haven't dug any more dirt off the top of where the nugget is until you scrape the side of the hole one the final digging pass. At 5:50 you can more clearly hear the nugget is not in the bottom of the hole but the side as you push the coil vertical and pinpoint (notice it screams when detecting the upper vertical wall but not the bottom side part).

I think you were almost down to it by the first pick scrape, looks like 5-7 inches. Give it a try, wave that same nugget in front of your coil. I'll eat my words and my hat if you can pick it up at anything close to 14".  :D

Anyways, I've noticed this in a lot of other videos of people digging small targets, I've done it myself a lot too when I was first figuring out the new coil and where it was sensitive.

A picture is always worth a lot of words, this nugget was 2 1/2 ounces at a measured 2 1/2 feet. I tried every timing configuration possible on the GPX 5000 including Sharp with a 20" monoloop coil and could get zero response. The GPZ with 14" Super D coil could easily see this target in all Gold modes and Ground Type modes, in General Difficult I could lift the coil 5 to 8 inches above the target and still hear it.

JP

post-9-0-75573600-1429907531_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-39228700-1429907568_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

That photo certainly lays my concerns to rest. Keep the faith fellows, just a matter of guiding the Z over them.

Well I think my "posted concerns" are diminishing. Ironically I dug up a 5.5 dwt nugget about 4 hours ago along with 1 slightly under a gram and 3 smaller ones.

Seems kind of dinky after JP's post.

The quarter ouncer was 9" deep. Not super deep but hey, none of the other machines that hit this area heard it. It was in a tailings pile under 3 to 4 inch sharp edged rocks mixed with dirt.

post-619-0-28029300-1429938987_thumb.jpg

• Like 2