Meteorites-Are You Sure That Is A Hotrock?

The Field Guide by Norton is also a great primer for hunting meteorites.

Just a note the various meteorites I have shown are all different types of Chondrites....there are many other kinds but these are the most common falls...irons are the most common finds by passersby...Mars and Lunars are extremely uncommon...

fred

• Like 1

OK I'll bite. How do you know you have a meteorite? Does it jump to the magnet on your pick? Are they all magnetic?

strick

I ain't fishing...

Most Chondrites are attracted to a magnet...some will jump and others barely stick.  A whetstone will allow you to grind a window to see nickel/iron specks, polishing may reveal chondrules...

there are lots of resources for learning- Bill Southern's meteorite forum is one of the best. http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/?showforum=4

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

When in doubt put it in the pocket then check it out :)  I'm pretty sure we've all kicked a few.  In 2016 my partner and I visited a guy in Cue who also ran prospecting tours locally.  He was pretty cool and showed us an outstanding mineral collection then invited us to see something a guy he knew had picked up while prospecting.  When we went to the workshop out back he pointed to a cutting table and there sat a football sized meteorite :)  The guy he got it from gave it to him saying he didn't know what it was but my partner and I recognized it instantly.  Granted one would not kick a chunk like that outta the way but it goes to show, "When in doubt check it out."  :)

• Like 2