Meteorites-Are You Sure That Is A Hotrock?

Steve mentioned a desire to broaden the forum horizons. So, with that in mind here are a few pic's of some of the meteorites I found.

1.Some stuff from Holbrook found by sight-there is only one in the mix.

2. a gold basin laying entirely exposed found with detector

3. my first and only Oz meteorite found hunting gold-still in Oz at Bathurst Observatory

fred

post-77-0-18289800-1429906098_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-04573900-1429906177_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-12356700-1429906246_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Fred,

I'll add to your post.  I'm still in  (No) Gold Basin.

I haven't found any gold with my 7000 yet because I don't know where gold is but I do know where the meteorites are.

Here are a couple I found today.  One is 32 grams and the other is 4.  The crust on the large one is pretty nice because you can see where it is, where it was and how it broke up.

Mitchel

IMG_20150424_193508(2).jpg

Do you guys ever get the oriented meteorites? I acquired one from a guy who found it in Canyon Diablo area in Arizona that is bulbous and flares out to thin metal edges.Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced it? I better look harder for it this weekend.

-Tom

Nice space rocks guys!

yes, the oz piece shows flow lines in this pic...I never did find the other piece of this. I suspect someone else thought it was a hot rock and gave it a throw. Or, it broke off and landed a away from this piece...I will never know.

I have never found a Gold basin with clear flow lines, I suspect they are to weathered to show...

fred

DSC00768 013.JPG

I really do need to make time to go hunt for meteorites. It is on the to do list but gold always seems to get top billing. Some day. I am studying up however and a really good book on the subject is Rocks from Space: Meteorites and Meteorite Hunters by O. Richard Norton, Kathleen Ort (Editor), Dorothy Sigler Norton (Illustrator).

rocks-from-space-book.jpg

• Like 2