3.8 Ounce Gold Nugget Dig In Australia

A warbly response always makes my heart jump.

I have rarely had it be anything other than a nugget.

Any strange tone or response makes me perk up big-time. 

It is most times something good.

On the 5000 I used to get a weird, extremely faint, barely audible sound like a cutoff emi hit.

I called it a chirp.

It would only happen every once in a while but when it did it was usually a good target.

However, it was also the kind of sound that was easy to dismiss.

I happened to stumble on it when I got two similar responses fairly close together one afternoon 

and decided to dig them. 

• Like 1

I can`t think of a deep nugget of size that didn`t give a warbly response and sometimes a null over centre. I believe that is why a lot of such responses are left by operators, I know I did on a number of occasions and than next morn when bright and revitalised back and recheck and dig up another nice one. Just love those indistinct warbly signals, makes the heart pump. Their not all horseshoes.

On the 5000 I used to get a weird, extremely faint, barely audible sound like a cutoff emi hit.

I called it a chirp.

It would only happen every once in a while but when it did it was usually a good target.

However, it was also the kind of sound that was easy to dismiss.

Hello flakmagnet. I am wondering how repeatable were these "chirp" signals? I'm always very interested in warbles, but I can't remember a signal that I've dug that I would call a "chirp". Thanks.

Hello Col Douglas,

To myself, I characterized this faint 'chirp' sound as an anomaly.

It was rarely repeatable, which is why it took me quite a while to realize it might be indicating something.

Also I did not hear it in every area I detected.

The places I do remember hearing it were very highly mineralized. 

As I said, it was not repeatable, but after a boot scrape or two, it would become a signal.

Lastly, it did not happen often - maybe once or twice over a two day period and I hunt long days.

I was so surprised by this little discovery that I mentioned it to a couple of knowledgeable acquaintances early on when the 5000 came out (and I was lucky enough to be able to afford one).

One of the guys I talked to knew about it too and actually suggested that I not to say anything about it because it could give whoever caught on to it "an edge."

But sharing stuff like this is what makes it a great hobby so didn't really pay attention to that part.

And it was a good reminder that I will probably never learn enough

to be able to repay the kindnesses of the generous and intelligent people

who have helped me learn this hobby.

I am hoping there may be some other folks out there who will be able to amplify on

this. I know for sure I am not the only person who got on to this 5k quirk.

fwiw

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing that flakmagnet. My hearing is so poor that I doubt that I'll ever have much of an edge on any reasonably efficient operator; just hoping not to be too generous to those that follow over where I've been. Appreciate your help.

Col