Coil Side Signals

Steve and others,

When hunting in the desert or on the beach there are always 'side signals' which indicate a target is near.  (When you are several inches away from an aluminum can for instance you start to hear it.)

Sometimes this is a source of interference and other times it leads to a successful target find. 

Are any coils better than others for producing a larger, useable off the coil signal that makes for a virtually larger coil than its measured size?

Mitchel

I found the DD coils on Minelab PI Machines had this more than the Mono`s, but I used the mono`s most (more depth & sensitivity). For this reason I found the DD good for poking around base of rocks as there sometimes be a nugget hiding under the edge of a rock, mono`s didn`t seem to be as good there. I found this was also so with the vlf machines, except I think they used DD & concentric rather than mono (from memory) I recall taking a new fellow to a spot he had a new Minelab 1500 (DD coil) I was using a A2B, he`d never found gold and called me over to check a signal at the base of a rock, the A2B didn`t register it so we rolled the rock aside and there under the edge of it was a 4 gram nugget, he was stoked, so was I nothing better than seeing a fellow get his first.

The coil on the GPZ seems to be even better at this again.

• Like 1

Steve and others,

When hunting in the desert or on the beach there are always 'side signals' which indicate a target is near.  (When you are several inches away from an aluminum can for instance you start to hear it.)

Sometimes this is a source of interference and other times it leads to a successful target find. 

Are any coils better than others for producing a larger, useable off the coil signal that makes for a virtually larger coil than its measured size?

Mitchel

I can assure you that the DOD coil on the GPZ7000 will detect a can on edge at over 6 feet. :-))

• Like 1

I detected my biggest ever pice at over a meter close to one and a half side on to a mono.

• Like 2

The off side sound, a raise in threshold, is one thing I'm always paying attention to.  Kind of a "look over hear" signal :)  On PI's, as Norvic says, DD's give the best result *I'm opposite as I work with DD's rather than mono's*.  The Zed is pretty responsive to on large targets.  With VLF's DD and Concentric's work well for off side signals.

The biggest factor I've found that affects off side signals is Threshold.  Second factor is Volume.  Low thresholds are noisy and a lot of people turn them up to quite things down... what gets missed are off side signals and deep signals.  Proper volume allows recognition in the thresholds change in pitch.

How far out the signal will be found is relative to the size of the coil and the targets size/response.  No good way to go about figuring it out.

Quite a few times I've been lead to good targets and bad.  One bad target *funny now* was an off side signal around a dead tree.  Turned out to be a few AA batteries some joker droped in the hollow of it.  Nice thing is I checked the hollow before I knocked down the tree for a futile dig. :)  Good target was a 10 gram bit of gold up the side of a gully about 12 inches.  Another good one, VLF, was a silver flourin *about the size of a 50 cent piece* up under the edge of a sidewalk.

Off side signals can be fun.

Addendum :  While poking about I saw an interesting video by Phase Technical on his GPZ7000 series video's.  Part 3 at about 11 minutes show's him coming up on and getting an off side signal and his comments on it.  I'd post a link but I'm betting it'd be wrong to do so.

• Like 2

Yeah, that piece "in maybe an amazing find", was about 1/2 metre in front of me or so when a 16" mono picked it up, plus it was 1/2 metre down a dry waterfall. Has your experience Dale shown DD`s are better at this then mono`s on smaller stuff, say around rocks ? That "look over here signal" not sure but have feeling, sometimes there doesn`t even seem to be a signal, sort of its calling you. Sounds weird and illogical, but they may be critters (re.Featherfisheads mate) and just want to be found on rare occasions. :rolleyes:

On thresholds I think as you get older, you cannot sense that pitch & volume change as well, my excuse anyway when my son scores a deepun where I`ve been.

• Like 1