GPZ 7000 Upgrades

G'day all. I was chatting to a minelab dealer who said that there are several upgrades coming before the end of the year for the Zed (apparently......). He could not say what, but I assume it will be software upgrades. Has anybody else heard about this ???
Cheers
BB

That`s a klunker, Klunker.  :o  I`m going for a button you push and a little fellow hops out and digs it up and of course the weightless coil. Seriously I hope they remove the proprietary crap re. GPS only assessable via Xchange2. But then again they may believe they are pulling an Apple. :rolleyes:

Never understood the addition of a GPS (and cost) to a detector. I would guess it gets used by about 10% of the detectorists and then just because it's there- not because it's needed. If I really need a GPS I'll use my trust worthy old Garmin.

Been waiting for Garmin to build a GPS with a built in detector.

• Like 4

Yes, it seems even less than 10% will use the GPS on the GPZ. Being a long term user of GPS and moving map software as a prospecting tool I am surprised. But I do believe once the benefits of such becomes more apparent with time, (read- produce more gold) this will change. Much the same as there were a few of us wandering OZ with GPS, laptop and moving map software back a bit, now nearly every vehicle is fitted with a navigator, which is basically a GPS, laptop and moving map software in a more user friendly form (and a lot cheaper)

I don`t think the cost or weight of the GPS in the GPZ is of any concern, lightweight and cheap as chips :blink:

I would prefer to be able to assign function's of my choosing to the gps buttons as I have never and will never use the inbuilt gps.

While we are talking about firmware I would also like the following updates:

-Modes! I would like to be able to create user modes with all of the settings saved under the mode like the ctx.
And be able to assign them names, 10 programmable modes would be enough.
And be able to use the exchange2 software to build or modify them.

And it would be good if I could assign them to the gps or user buttons so I could toggle between 2x modes easily with just 1 button press.

-Audio type, I would like to be able to change the audio curve to suit the conditions and task like on the gpx.

-Audio smoothing, I would like numerical control of the audio smoothing like the stabilizer on the gpx.
Say 1-20 range, 20 being high and 1 being off.

-Ground balance reset, I would like to be able to just dump all of the ground balance info without loosing all of my settings.
Or if they gave us modes when you did a reset your modes would remain unchanged.

-Separate volume controls for wm12 speaker and headphones like on the ctx so when you plugin or unplug your headphones the gpz recognizes them and adjusts the volume to the appropriate setting that you have assigned for ether the speaker or headphones.

All of these upgrades are easily deliverable, as they are just software changes.
And these would make the detector much better to use and increase its performance in differing conditions.

• Like 2

I agree numerical (1-20) audio smoothing would be great.

Making the quick-track trigger multifunction is the direction I am leaning. Click once and go into a preset user mode, click another time and go back into the first preset user mode. Hold trigger in for more than 1 second and go into quick-track. Far and away my #1 request if I could have anything.

Some other stuff like a ground mode between normal and difficult or a more useful detecting mode than General/Extra Deep to compliment HY. Not sure if any of that is possible though but definitely on my list.

I don't touch the GPS either. But I actually would if there were some changes to it which I've talked about it other threads. Right now I just velcro my phone to the top of my screen.

But before Minelab does software updates they have some hardware design flaws that need to be addressed first IMO. I'd like some kind of clamp that keeps the shaft from rotating and making the coil go askew (tape should not be essential for any new purchase) and a screen replacement since there is no reality where the plastic they use there is intended for every day use. Also a better bungee clip that stays put on the shaft and not built of plastic that breaks after time in the sun and bearing weight (carbon fiber would be nice).

• Like 2

Yeah the way the coil twists around on the GPZ is kind of odd. I haven't really had any problems with it, I've gotten used to it like the floppy coil (which I kinda like now) but I was surprised there wasn't a tight lock-up on it like a GPX.

Coil twist?, my coil will twist around only when fully retracted which is good and allows it to be put away in vehicle neatly, but once shaft is extended to user length it is firm, locked and doesn`t twist. Very happy with GPZ other than the GPS in its form is basically of little use to this prospector.

After realising its failings there I sent a courteous email to Minelab with my thoughts and a similar one to the developer of Oziexplorer. Immediate answer from Oziexplorer still no reply, not even an acknowledgement from Minelab. Tis disappointing, with oziexplorer I have spent probably $300 over many years, upgrades are free, with Minelab I won`t bother adding the amount up, their products are tops just question their inability to reply. Perhaps this may be why their share price is going south, shame as one certainly can`t knock their products.