GPZ 7000 Upgrades

Yeah. Every 20-30 minutes the shaft and thus my coil twists around probably 30 degrees from where I set it (and thus about an equal angle off the ground for the coil). It does bother me because the reason I notice it is when my elbow and wrist start aching from having to twist them to compensate and keep the coil flat to the ground.

Seen other people post about this issue too, but it could be some clamps are working better than others or some shafts are sized slightly differently if you haven't noticed it all. No idea, but its definitely an issue that they need to at least address and IMO repair since with daily use RSI is a real possibility (yep, playing the safety card).

Jasong, no drama at all with mine and my nickname is "sandpaper", rough as guts on my gear, so can only think if you haven`t assembled incorrectly than there is variation in machines, which considering modern assembly lines is a wee unlikely. Extended with lock not engaged still cannot twist only time it can twist is when shaft is shortened. Talk about RSI, I don`t have to bend over too far now to touch the ground with right hand. Come on Klunker get that weightless coil mod on market. :)

Hmm I can twist mine with my hands in the locked position. It's tight but not tight enough to keep it from rotating bit by bit as you swing the detector back and forth and apply torque to the handle. It happens when I'm pressing up against scrub or detecting wash walls too.

There is really no way to assemble this incorrectly but I have to say -

can only think if you haven`t assembled incorrectly than there is variation in machines, which considering modern assembly lines is a wee unlikely.

You clearly do not have Harbor Freight in OZ.  :D

I agree, the quicktrak button is an under utilized resource.

The ability to create custom modes like the 3030 would be very useful to those who wished to fiddle - especially between normal and difficult ground modes.

I was hoping the 7000 screen would have had the ability to swivel (say 20 degrees either way) and to be locked in that position.

The quicker they team up with Oziexplorer the better - that would be superb.

Cheers

BB

Hey Norvic,

I used a moving map program today --basic TOPO---ran it thru the GPS----to laptop on truck console---we were in a new area and it helped a lot to be able to see what the area actually looked like that i had been researching---Almost got hung up twice by trees across the road---'(bring chainsaw next time!!! )

We were late and ill prepared and it almost cost us a day....

All in all had a good day, saw some beautiful new country....

No harbour freight in OZ, but that is probably it. Your shaft must be different quality, have not heard of this problem in OZ, nothing on OZ forums wonder if US models are identical.

Moving Map software on the GPZ screen, not on our models but maybe on a future one, would be enough if Minelab would allow the export and import of tracks and waypoints in a standard format that it seems most moving map software can work with. Not many prospectors are going to trust going online to view such as Xchange requires.

My lower shaft lock is keyed and will not rotate, the upper shaft lock allows my zed s coil to rotate an inch or so when the shaft is fully extended. occasionally I find it's not quite lined up straight when Im out swinging it around too. It takes a little force for it to move, so I haven't been really bothered by it yet, but it seems like it should be made to lock solid.

My lower shaft lock is keyed and will not rotate, the upper shaft lock allows my zed s coil to rotate an inch or so when the shaft is fully extended. occasionally I find it's not quite lined up straight when Im out swinging it around too. It takes a little force for it to move, so I haven't been really bothered by it yet, but it seems like it should be made to lock solid.

That's pretty much what we're talking about, it turns a little bit. The whole coil doesn't spin 360 degrees around or anything major like that.

Right, for me it's only about 30 degrees but enough that it bothers my delicate sensibilities. :D  Mine is getting worse with time though. At first it'd happen maybe once or twice a day, now it's probably every 20-30 minutes. I've put a lot of hours on my machine so maybe its wearing down, no clue.

So it looks like custom modes are a popular request. I wonder if Minelab still reads the input on these forums now that the general new release is over? That would be awesome to see some user requests make it into an update.