So today I was out detecting at the beach here in Auckland NZ. I found some old coins a 9ct ring and and importantly a WWII dog tag.

I posted about my finds on a local forum (paydirt) and a member of that forum suggested I also post the find here. The reason for posting about the dog tag here is that someone on here may be able to track down relatives of the solider that lost this tag and reuniting them. If anyone could be of help that would be cool. I have attached a few photos and a link to an obituary for the solider that provides some info. Thanks in advance for any help!!post-178-0-52257200-1430635409_thumb.pngpost-178-0-86028800-1430635424_thumb.jpgpost-178-0-27660900-1430635440_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-92790800-1430635452_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi All

This is a truly remarkable  story. Watch as it unfolds at.

http://www.paydirt.co.nz/forums/#.VUXw-ZOzZ9N

Go to show tell and identify sub forum.

1864 Hatter. The last two pages.  I am the other " Hatter"

I rang Warren Zuder Jr and left a message on his answer phone.  With my email address.  Hope he gets it. Maybe somebody in Mesa Arizona can just check to make sure. His ph number is 480 838 6183

Cheers Trev

New Zealand

Hi All

I did have to have a chuckle after I left my email address with Warren Zuder Jr.   I said kiwigold@hotmail.com.   But as you know we too have our NZ accent. So he probably heard it as keewee.  So I rang back and left another message on his answerphone. And spelt it out.

I guess this whole remarkable story can be summed up by " In God we trust"  lost dog tags by a USN salior at Takapuna Beach in Auckland. New Zealand. Found by 1864 Hatter.  Around about 70 years later.  And I am sure they will be treasured when they get home.  What a tale indeed.

Cheers Trev

New Zealand

Hi All

Have spoken to Warren Zuder Junior, from Mesa Arizona.  Yep its his Dads alright. He is over the moon.  And the Dog Tags will be returned to him.

What a remarkable ending to a touching story.

Cheers Trev

Thank you for your efforts.  It is a wonderful gesture.

OK so with the help of Trev (NZ) I have managed to send an email to the Sailor that lost the above reply. Will inform you upon receipt of a reply. Also see paydirt.co.nz at the above link to follow this story in more detail