Western Australia about 20 years ago, the Wife, dogs and I were prospecting Australia in our self contained Toyota Troop Carrier, stopped at Pardoo a Roadhouse to the East of Pt Hedland overnight. On checking Moving Map software noticed a track that would lead us to Marble Bar and cut off a fair few miles. So we took it, good track easy going.

We got to a concrete causeway across the De Grey River about 100 yards wide. Walked half way on it, around 12” inches of water and as the section walked was on an outside bend thus the fastest moving considered the Troppie would handle it no drama. So put in 4WD low range as precaution(very fortunately), we got to within 20 yards of otherside and causeway started to dip, depth of water increased to about 1 yard plus, no choice but to continue.

Troppie started to wash off causeway but fortunately front wheels got traction and dragged us out. I can tell you we left bum prints in the seats. Extremely lucky escape, no further dramas till we got almost to main highway there we had to move the road closed flooded road barricade to get to the highway. There was no such sign back at other end.

Stayed at Marble Bar for about 4 weeks, did very well and have kept this unusual piece as a memento of my foolishness. I should have checked with local police. Of interest perhaps, the year later Pardoo Roadhouse was wiped out by a cyclone, the people there protected themselves by camping in their cold room.

post-1-0-30840600-1430872483_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nordic that is an astoundingly cool specimen and the story is probably

hair-raisingly familiar to many off roaders. Thanks for sharing…

Yeah, have done some crazy things in 4WD, as it seems a lot of us have, but that one was a very lucky escape. No one knew we were there Sat phone would have got washed away with troppie. To add a bit more as I condensed original story a wee bit. After crossing river, a few miles on ended up on a new wide bitumen road following a new ore railway track, had signs up it was a private road, Trespassers would be prosecuted etc etc. BHP or Rio Tinto from memory, fortunately after travelling on it for a few miles moving map software showed original track cutting off it, so we got off back on track.

Originally named the nugget The Turtle. But as it looks the same from either side, have renamed it Mc Nugget, cause it looks like a miniature burger. Its one I doubt I could ever put in the dolly pot, got a few others I must post for their uniqueness. Small one in particular but must get a camera with macro abilities for that.

My stuff up Paul, but Steves kindly come up with a solution.

Sounds like it was a short white knuckle moment but it looks like it payed off in the end,cool looking gold specimen.

What's up with this Nvic???!!!! I'm confused. Isn't every prospecting trip SUPPOSED to be a grand adventure with hairsbreadth escapes, near misses, costly mistakes and life threatening situations? I must be doing something wrong.

Or maybe i really am a fool.

Thanks for the fun story.

Such a beauty Norvic.  Is the stone attached magnetic at all to a rare earth super magnet?

Whats up Klunker!!!!! Getting old, too much comfort,  something in the water, dunno all was a great adventure and when you think of it that is what makes gold prospecting the magic journey for us. Plus as you recollect these memories you think more on the crazy things, I know one thing the Missus has had enough, can`t entice her out there anymore. She`s lost her sense of humour :D or is she the sane one? Nah we`re not fools, just big kids. :rolleyes:

No Gerry super magnet doesn`t attach to stone, just tried it. But it certainly looks like it should.

• Like 1