Hot Rock, Gold or Both?

Once upon a time while detecting in Arizona, a target that I thought was just another one of the many magnetite "ironstone" hot rocks littering the area jumped onto the super-magnet on my pick. But as I plucked it off of the magnet and prepared to fling it into the nearest bush, I noticed that it was unusually heavy for it's size; rubbing the dirt off of the nickel-sized stone revealed a band of gold running through it.

• Like 1

So,there REALLY is BLACK Gold and its NOT the stuff we put in our cars then? Thanks for posting these great pics guys !!! 

I better print them out in color for future reference. Ps, did these black nuggets give an iron grunt sound or a gold sound?

I threw out a fist size, super heavy ,  black rock I got with my MXT years ago and it sure looked like a nugget,not magnetite, exact shape of my clenched fist. It was in an old timers iron mining prospect site in a mudhole creek. It screamed, no low  grunt noise. Still kicking myself 8 years later for not testing it with my pick magnet or scraping the black coating,musta weighed minimum 2 pounds...

Gerry Thanks for posting, I have found some iron/gold while working concentrates from Lemhi county but it was real small stuff.  By the way Gerry I plan  on hitting dredge tailing piles up Yankee Fork with my NEW SDC 2300 this weekend ..Thanks to you......Idaho Al

Thanks for another lesson in nugget shooting, when you first showed me this nugget it blew me away! I'm positive that had I found this type of nugget stuck to my rare earth magnet on my pick, it would have gotten tossed into the bushes! (As I recall, originally, the gold was not exposed)Great topic and pictures, thanks for the post and your willingness to share your knowledge and experience with others!

Hey John, I am not Gerry but I can tell that it is a Apex Pick.   Made in Idaho.... USA.......Idaho Al

Tom in Ill, Yes I remember you from that Alaska trip.  We sure did well up there for a few years.  With the new MXT All Pro 10" DD coil, it does not responde in Coin Mode, even with DISC to "0".  In Relic Mode, which is what I use for the MXT, it hardly sounds off an inch away and it it makes a noise it reads IRON/FOIL, but will not responde as well as FOIL.  In PROSPECT MODE, again only 1 1/2" and barley audible.  I think it is the DD coil.

John,  APEX is the prefered weapon of choice for me.  Shipping International could cost more than the pick, but probably worth it if you don't have any others in your area.

Now we need to see some photos of folks meteorites that we all used to think were Hot Rocks.  When I detected a burned area in AZ, where all the bushes used to be were loaded with modern trash and hot rocks.  Wonder how many were nuggets?

Great photos and comments folks, your efforts help educate todays newer nugget hunters so thanks for sharing.

• Like 1