Silly Question, Who Uses a Bungee?

Its a silly question but I am curious to know how many use a bungee or other support system while out bush or even in a park?

I use just a standard harness and bungee pretty exclusively as it reduces wear and tear on my person :)  The advent of the Zed kinda makes it imperative to me now.   I gain extra control of my coil, regardless of the machine, and I don't have to worry about dropping it to take a break~ or that someone will try to grab and run with it. 

Silly question but I'm curious to ask.

Howdy DD, I've made my own bungee system for detecting but rarely use it. I always carry it just in case i need it because i've had tendinitis in the past and if I feel my arm straining i'll have it as some relief. As many of you know tendinitis is terrible and takes forever to heal.

AjR

If your swinging a GPZ, a Bungie is a must! The stock Breast Plate on the Pro Swing 45 restricts my normal wide swing, so I use a Hip Stick...works great! Until the next hunt

Rick

• Like 1

Yes, I did the same as AjR. I took an adjustable bungee (Ace Hardware) and worked it through my Camel pack then tied a piece of para chord around the handle of my SDC. I don't use it much as the SDC is very light and manageable but it does come in handy. I can collapse the shaft then attach the bungy and the machine will ride up under my left elbow (lefty) and then I can really cruise and hike without the machine being in the way.  

Dean

Lucky- I detect in too much ugly country to use a bungee I detect left handed. If you want to argue the point, since owning a Z, I have developed a mean left hook.

• Like 2

I once developed tendonitis from detecting. By the time the pain is really felt it is too late. It shut my detecting down for half a year - luckily a winter in Alaska. It was bad enough I had to start using a mouse left handed when using a computer.

I always use a bungee support or some other form of support like a Hipstick now and highly recommend that most people do also. Repetitive motion injury is serious stuff.

• Like 1

Used a bungee with the Minelabs PI`s on and off, much the same with GPZ. Found a bungee the way to go on flats and slopes but in steep sided gullies, working around boulders usually wind it out of way around shaft. Tried the pro swing that comes with the GPZ, but country I detect in doesn`t allow the freedom a bungee gives. Certainly as I`ve aged found it is a must to put in the hours.

A HipStick full-time, no matter what size coil.

Tendonitis and the other over-use related issues are simply not worth it.

If working on a slope, it is a fairly easy matter to adjust the bungie

it seems many people just don't want to make the effort.

Agreed it may take a few times to learn to adjust it with a minimum of effort

but the consequences of not thinking about taking care of your shoulder and back and arms

is painful downtime in the short run and the potential for lasting damage.

After learning to use a HipStick it has become second nature and I will never detect without one.

:)  I have a hipstick waiting for me in OZ from a mate of mine.

I appreciate the feed back on my silly question.  I've never quite figured out why such a tool is so often overlooked or shunned.  Though in klunkers case I suppose it could be beneficial in a brawl ;)

True enough that in some areas its just not very practical or feasible to use a support but I keep shaking my head when I hear about how heavy a detector is.  And there I am with the same gear, only supported, zipping right along still shaking my head.  Main reasons I seem to hear are that : The harness is to hot, I don't like the way it feels, I don't need it: for not using a support bungee or other device.

Maybe a bit of machismo?

• Like 2