The Power Of Zed On Meteorites

I went out to the Franconia meteorite strewn field last Friday.  It is an area I know pretty good and I know a fair bit about the types of meteorites you can find there.

One of the major types of meteorites is what they call an iron.  It is a small meteorite that was blown by winds to their present location after a main mass burst in the atmosphere. They landed away from the main strewn field.  

Prior to the 8th of May I had never gotten more than 3 irons in a trip with various detectors and coils which includes a GPX 5000.  Many thousands of these meteorites have been found over the years by hundreds of hunters.  When you detect them the larger ones can scream at you.  They are never very deep.

This was a good and different trip.  I had a Zed.  I found 25 of the irons and a couple of larger meteorites.  The largest iron at the top of the circle is .8 grams.  It ends up with a tiny meteorite that I can't weigh.  The total of all irons is 4.1 grams.

The two larger meteorites are 46.7 grams and 114.4 grams.  They were found in the same area with a depth of less then 5 inches. The Zed had no problem distinguishing them from the hot rocks.

Now, bring on the gold fields!

IMG_5623.JPG

IMG_5625.JPG

IMG_5631.JPG

IMG_5635.JPG

• Like 6

Nice space gold there :)  Figure you'll have the basin cleared out by the end of the season?

• 4 weeks later...

Minelab gave me the international 'Find of the Month' today.  If you submit a story and picture then you can win $250 plus some goodies.  I'll tell you what the goodies are when they get here from Ireland.

• Like 2

I was swinging the GPZ today at rye patch and hit a nice signal under a dead brush stump and while clearing the hole found this stuck to the magnet on my pick, meteorite I think?

post-618-0-48320300-1434436728_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-27760600-1434436752_thumb.jpg