Emergency Travel Junk

So, I've spent a lot of years in my life working in emergency services and one of the most important things I learned was talking about safety is one of the best ways to prevent something bad going worse, or better yet not having anything bad happen at all.

That being said and me having tire issues in the high n Nevada desert this last time out, the next time I plan to be better equipped. To help my self and be able to help someone else as well, being out in remote areas is kind of like boating in that another in distress becomes your priority if you can assist.

My growing list includes: upgraded tires, two spares, tire plug kit, tire patches, rubber goop, 12 volt tire pump with battery jump start ($80 at Costco), extra quarts of oil, extra gallons water, hand winch and chain/straps, 200 ft rescue rope, small tools, small first aid kit, there are more things I'm sure. Plus all my prospecting tools and supplies... Barely room for me in the car.

What other things do you carry to stay safe and what safety tips do other people have to share?

Personal Locator Beacon.

Sounds like ya got most of it Art, if you lose a Raidiator hose or belt they will put ya dead in the water alsoas far as the hose i carry emergency silicone tape it is VERY good tape and it almost vulcanzes to itself as you wrap it,this is great for many things. Alternator belt is a good cheap one to have also. If we carried everything we needed we would all be driving a service truck.

Theres a lot of stuff.... but for starting a fire out in the bush an emergency flare in your day pack will get you through a cold night.

strick

I carry good quality tire plugs and applicator tool with large can of glue, 12v compressor, upper and lower rad hoses, serpentine belt, thermostat, rad cap,  xtra antifreeze, full set tools, and more.

• Like 1

Art,

What size U-Haul do u have????

That's a lot of stuff...but I'm sure one use of any one item paid for itself...

I just carry a roll of gorilla tape along with plenty of water ..extra batteries...and an extra coil ..oh and a lighter.... All in one day pack...

lots of good information, I actually did consider some kind of sat phone or something, but i figure the cost on those is pretty stiff and a little caution would do. The rubber vulcanizing tape is great stuff, I keep a roll in the boat but forgot about it for my car and then I tried the trailer, but that just opened a whole new can O worms being different tire sizes an all, you see where this is going...

So, if you need any service out there just look for the severely overloaded old silver Mine Lab 500, I mean ML500 and give a shout, i'll quit digging lead long enough to come give a hand.

Clark

• Like 2

Fire Extinguisher, preferably CO2 rather than dry powder. Solar panel on vehicle roof to keep those batteries charged and maybe to save a bit of space cut out the extra spare tyre, take a tube instead assuming you have the tools to fit tube.

• Like 1