Hey Argyle,

When I was freezing my butt off and hungry in the woods in Washington state in USAF Survival School in 1969, half a can of cold baked beans (even the terible British ones) would have tasted pretty good! LOL

No worries, It's still probably Tesoro's best moneymaker.

Regards,

And it's that Ground Grab on the F19 and GMT that I trust so much Rick. It's instant and excact! Once you have the correct correlation between gain and Threshold running together on the F19, and the same with the GMT only with the height of the SAT speed dialed right, you can work some pretty hot ground! 

Unfortunently the tracking on the Whites simply will not keep itself anywhere near the precision of the GroundGrab, so most of us tend to detect with tracking off, and ggrab quickly when needed.

Regarding the Lobo Super Trac auto Tracking, I think dave Johnson might agree with you to some extent, Argyle. Since the mid 90’s when he did the LST, he designed the automatic ground tracking for the GMT/MXT for Whites.

Now, 20 years after the LST, his designs at First Texas don't have automatic ground tracking, relying on "ground grab" where the detector only resets to the current ground reading when you command it to. Here is what he has written about it.
_____________________\\

Manual ground balancing capability is important for many users: however some people just can’t get the knack of it and require a machine that offers computer-assisted ground balancing, either “grab” or “tracking”. Tracking may sound like a good feature, but it’s like driving an automatic transmission car on a narrow winding mountain road— constantly changing and unpredictable. With “grab” there is no tracking and you can get a repeatable signal when checking out a target. We changed the market perception of tracking when we introduced the Teknetics T2—customers asked “where’s the tracking?”, we said “you don’t need it”, they replied “by golly you’re right!” and that was the end of it. We may offer tracking in the future, but for now none of our products has it.

Just the opposite Steve, in fact I bought another new grey one last week. They are my favorite unit for dry creek beds after a day or three of soaking rain. I find the sef coils deadly on them and use the large 12" because of the depth achieved through that saturated quiet ground, or a moist gully that holds at least a foot of deep wash. But their tracking still sucks.

I'm a VLF nut, not a PI nut.... they sh*t me to tears sometimes. I swear to god if another one of my VLF's outshines my SDC again I'll sell the 2300.

It is all relative argyle. The Lobo may not suit you in Australian ground but it has many fervent fans in the U.S.

• Like 1

Hey Argyle,

When I was freezing my butt off and hungry in the woods in Washington state in USAF Survival School in 1969, half a can of cold baked beans (even the terible British ones) would have tasted pretty good! LOL

No worries, It's still probably Tesoro's best moneymaker.

Regards,

Yep I concur here..... As long as you know the machine, "using what ya brung " will always beat using nothing.

I remember foxholes, middle of winter, 1985, frostbitten toes for those that left their boots on against orders, ration packs confiscated. Cold beans woulda been a godsend Rick.