Gold Hunting 4WD

Steve :)

Relating to your post on getting stuck out bush when it rains in Australia~  2010 was one of the wettest years in WA and my mates and I got stuck in pretty non-productive areas for a week at a time from just the mildest of rains.  The soils there turn to instant grease that challenge any 4WD so the best advice there is just to wait it out.  Even walking around is a trick in the wet.

Roads, dirt tracks, are bad enough and rut out easily~ frowned apon~ and getting stuck might just land you and your mate in a heap of trouble.

Some roads also have to be left alone after a good pour because getting caught out on them can get you fined between 100 and 400 dollars a tire.

The deserts of the West here in the USA are about as troublesome but help is generally much closer at hand than in AUS.  Biggest problem for deserts here are the washes where flash flooding can leave you sleeping in your car for a while if not swept down stream.

I'm looking at wheels right now in OZ and see some troopies I'd like to pick up :)  Gonna hit the backpackers up first see if I cant score a good set of wheels with a partial kit.  *another week to go!*