Gold Hunting 4WD

Many Thanks for PM reply, I suspected that was the weakness they introduced, unfortunately because the shockies diameter would foul the axle thus the rod, they`ve added that weakness in 05, I suspect, Bugger them I felt with the lead up of smallies I was getting close to a broken down reef. But I`ll be back there. As its under Warranty will have a chat to Toyota. Not to have repair made by them, they`d only replace with same, just to alert them of this.

I heard that the later model hilux's have a common problem with the fuel pump that is easily rectified with an aftermarket job, may be you should look into it Vic.

Yeah, they did have but rectified in my model, apparently. But I have a feeling, because like you I don`t want to be hung up on some steep hill miles from help, I might be in the market for a new troopie but on those there is a similar problem, because they widened the front dif to fit the V8 diesel, they are suffering breakages in the shockie mountings there too, but because its not IFS could limp home no drama. Might be time to give the old troopie a make-up and reregister, nothing wrong with it, just  because of its age thought time for a new one, reliability and all that stuff.

No we dont...we have the fj, the tacoma, tundra, and four runner. No diesels. There is one company I found thats importing used here.

Im a fan. Have a 1971 fj40, since 1987, and a 1979 hilux.

No we dont...we have the fj, the tacoma, tundra, and four runner. No diesels. There is one company I found thats importing used here.

Im a fan. Have a 1971 fj40, since 1987, and a 1979 hilux.

Mate you cannot get a better 4x4 for prospecting than a toyota Land cruiser diesel.

What is the most common/best 4x4 used in Yankee land?

Ive seen some pretty cool looking Yankee riggs on the tv.

Been using a 4-Runner myself the last 15 years. Did great in Alaska and doing great now in the Lower 48. Most guys here seem to like huge diesel pickups but I like the narrow profile of the 4-Runner for going down overgrown roads and for turning in tight areas.

• Like 2

Hi Steve

I think your 4runner is the same as what we aussies call a hilux but yours is a sedan and ours is a utility.

I run a 2004 model hilux as my prospecting rig, and its served me well!

Like you say its narrow width is handy in some areas, and its chassis flex helps a lot in climbing up rugged hills.

They are easily one of the most competent 4x4 available, but they do not tow or carry over 1 tonne very well.

Tremain runs a landcruser and it carries the weight a lot better but they are not as capable as the hilux in very rugged terrain or sand.

Because we spend so long living out of the car carrying weight is a major priority for us and after seeing how Tremain's cruiser handles the weight I am going to get a diesel cruiser next.

I thought that you guys might all use some ford or gm or somthing we don't get over here.

Here is my old 4-Runner in Alaska. It was a 2005 but after years of Alaska wet weather and salted roads was getting some body rust, so I sold it when I moved south with 170,000 miles on it. Upgraded to a used 2008 6 cyl with "only" 75,000 miles on it. I have towed 3000 lbs with it and it does ok but but it cuts the gas mileage in half.

post-1-0-69508600-1422739555.jpg

I sleep in the front seat a lot. There are many places where camping is not allowed, but in the U.S. sleeping in the front seat of your rig is "resting" not "camping".