Tesoro Silver uMax Pinpointer Conversion

This post is inspired by the the question 1515Art asked at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/972-iron-detector/ "is there a small lightweight detector that would compliment the GPZ mainly by giving the operator a second look that reads for an iron signal on the target in question, something like a pin pointer with some decent depth made for iron."

This question has of course been asked by many Minelab operators over the years, including myself. In my case being dissatisfied with the option of carrying a complete second detector around as not very practical (I tried it) I made this little cutie back in 2003.

post-1-0-52395600-1432437218_thumb.jpg

I chose the Tesoro Silver uMax as my base unit. I cut the armrest off at the end of the foam grip, in effect giving the unit a pistol grip. I removed the middle rod section and inserted the cut-down plastic isolator rod into the grip section. The isolator was cut down as far as I could go and still allow enough room to wrap excess coil cable. This ended up making the isolator 7" long.

The stock 7" coil was too big, but Tesoro had a nice little 4" coil for the uMax. This was attached to the isolator with a Fisher nylon wingnut instead of the steel screw Tesoro used back then. I had to drill the hole in the isolator out slightly for the nylon wingnut. The overall unit was 15" long.

The unit was very sensitive, easily getting a signal on a 2 grain gold nugget. It hit a 4 grain matchhead-size nugget at about 2". It hit small nuggets better than I really expected. It hit a silver dime easily at 5". Better yet, it had good iron and steel discrimination.

The Silver uMax at that time had a suggested retail is $299.00 The 4" coil had a suggested retail of $89.00. I was able with discounts to build this for about $300

Something like this offers better than normal pinpointer ranges plus discrimination and so this may be something a person would consider and now there are even more detectors that might make a good base unit. I ended up selling this one but kept the pistol grip rod and adapted it to my Gold Bug 2 and 6" coil. You can see a picture of that setup at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1028-fisher-gold-bug-2-pinpointer-conversion/page-0

I still think the Silver uMax is the best dedicated solution but for most people like me that have a VLF anyway just tossing one in the truck to have nearby is usually "good enough". However, I did recently try and sell a couple manufacturer reps on the idea. A factory made version would be cleaner and cost no more than a standard pinpointer. I do think many people want a pinpointer with more depth and iron discrimination. Tell you favorite manufacturer to make these!

post-1-0-75568500-1453303636.jpeg

• Like 8

Probably a silly question and you`ve probably already done it, but wouldn`t it be easier to carry as a hipmount. You have me thinking the Xterra 705 hip mounted with a small coil, not as sensitive as those higher frequency machines, but certainly nice and compact and easy to fit in a belt pouch. Coil & cable in rear pouch. Plenty of food for thought.

Sawn off like that it`d probably be illegal in OZ, it does look kinda lethal.

• Like 1

I once put a sling on my GB2 and used it along with my 3500 in NorCal tailing piles--- i just kept it collapsed as far as it would go---didnt weigh much....

I also enjoyed team hunting with the 5000 and the Deuss as the discriminator----One person followed behind the 5000 man and checked all targets...

ah yes, I knew this had to be something some of you had tackled before. Beautiful craftsmanship Steve, when I saw the picture my hopes went up it looked like a product model I could just order. No matter, this also sounds like a fun project to work on and build.

Steve, thank you very much!

ah yes, I knew this had to be something some of you had tackled before. Beautiful craftsmanship Steve, when I saw the picture my hopes went up it looked like a product model I could just order. No matter, this also sounds like a fun project to work on and build.

Steve, thank you very much!

Very easy to make, though as Norvic points out you can just hip mount or backpack mount some control boxes.

One key here is to try and use a unit with a small control box since the coil is so close, but a detector will tune out more metal in close proximity to a coil than you might imagine, as long as the coil is immobile in relation to the metal. Still, detuning does take place so a bit longer rod may be called for if the control box is larger. Also, using a small coil simply angling the coil at 45 degree will eliminate much of that issue. This would be very easy to do with a Gold Bug Pro - just remove the middle rod, shorten the lower rod and use the small coil. With extra rod parts you could convert from full detector to ultra compact and back with no problem.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm making a shorty for a different reason than most of you guys.

I don't need a pinpointer because I don't hunt with a big PI detector but when I do

go nugget hunting I tend to dig and detect into the side of the bank or work bedrock outcroppings.

I pull the middle rod quite often.

I just ordered a Tesoro Vaquero which is supper small and light like the Silver but also has the ability to ground ballence.

I also ordered a Nel 3.5x6 snake coil for it. (6 weeks out!)

I'm hoping this will make for a good nugget hunter.

It will also double as my nail infested site coin shooter to complement my CTX.

I also like the fact I can leave it in my truck year round and not worry about it getting stolen

or ruined by extreme temperatures.

• Like 2