Tesoro Silver uMax Pinpointer Conversion

For anyone wanting a Tesoro Silver to make into a pinpointer,

I listed my Silver Sabre in the classifieds.

Cabin Fever, I will buy it. Check your PM's.

Merton

• 2 months later...

Finally got all my parts together to make my custom Vaquero nugget detector.

Bought an extra upper shaft and a shorty divers lower rod so I can convert this back to

stock any time by just removing the control housing (one screw) and put back on the

stock shafts.

I'm very happy with how it turned out. The 6.5 X 3.5 inch Nel Snake coil is very sensitive!

Sub grain nuggets that don't even register on my scale are a piece of cake.

Standing straight up its about 17 1/2" and just under 20" if you lay the coil flat.

Weight came in at 1lb 11.6 oz.

Before I built it I was worried about it flopping over from not having an armrest stand,

but as you can see, you can either lay it on the ground with the coil flat or just stand it

straight up and It holds its own.

Bryan

post-255-0-09612400-1453160525_thumb.jpe

post-255-0-63531900-1453160591_thumb.jpe

post-255-0-55532900-1453160652_thumb.jpe

post-255-0-13718000-1453160711_thumb.jpe

• Like 4

Very nice, clean looking unit - good work!

I still think there is a market for "Super Pointers" similar to this if any of the factory folks would be willing to take a chance. Be a no-risk proposition for Tesoro in particular with no research or development costs. Just off the shelf stuff put together right. A short internal cable would be sweet.

Thanks for posting, I really like that.

Cabin Fever, that is a nice job you did on your detector. 

I actually purchased a Tesoro Silver Sabre U-max detector on Steves recommendation. I just have not had the time to do the conversion. I think I may just make me a rod out of PVC to begin with. I wont be using it to detect, only as a discriminating pinpointer. My Tesoro was supposedly used but looks like it has never seen soil- a 1993 wayback machine. I just can't cut it up until I bang it up some. It's just to darn pretty. I am also interested in trying the 4" accessory coil out on some nail beds in stock configuration. I had to give $90 for the Tesoro 4" coil. How much was the NEL?

Very nice, clean looking unit - good work!

I still think there is a market for "Super Pointers" similar to this if any of the factory folks would be willing to take a chance. Be a no-risk proposition for Tesoro in particular with no research or development costs. Just off the shelf stuff put together right. A short internal cable would be sweet.

Thanks for posting, I really like that.

Yes! All they have to do is start making the little elliptical coil again.

I just put one up for sale on your classifieds. It was made for the original Lobo.

They already make the short diver pole and the Vaquero is a surprisingly hot

little detector with a smooth all metal mode.

There's a lot of power and control tucked inside that tiny uMax housing.

Bryan

post-255-0-63861000-1453173138_thumb.jpe

Cabin Fever, that is a nice job you did on your detector.

I actually purchased a Tesoro Silver Sabre U-max detector on Steves recommendation. I just have not had the time to do the conversion. I think I may just make me a rod out of PVC to begin with. I wont be using it to detect, only as a discriminating pinpointer. My Tesoro was supposedly used but looks like it has never seen soil- a 1993 wayback machine. I just can't cut it up until I bang it up some. It's just to darn pretty. I am also interested in trying the 4" accessory coil out on some nail beds in stock configuration. I had to give $90 for the Tesoro 4" coil. How much was the NEL?

I think the Nel was in the $120 range. They were back ordered 6 weeks at the time.

You don't have to cut up your silver Sabre. The Tesoro divers rod is $12

You can also buy a Tesoro upper handle assembly for only $21 to cut down and attach your control box to it. Just one screw.

The control box is the same one they use today so it fits.

Bryan

post-1-0-26712300-1453304919_thumb.jpeg

post-1-0-19277200-1453305852.jpeg

• Like 2

Cabin Fever, thanks for the advice on the rod.