Fisher CZX Metal Detector "Ground Breaking Technology"

Sure, digging square nails, boot tacks and wire can be annoying, especially on a hot day when the mosquitos wont leave you alone.  But, I have on many occasions found a nugget in the same hole as iron trash.  Some detectorist in my group dig every target even though they know the target is probably iron, but by doing this many ounces of gold and a few specimen pieces have been found that was otherwise hidden by iron.  What we need is a gold magnet on the end of our picks :)

The dig it all theory does point to the fact that if you dig everything you can find lots of gold. I would not disagree, but I have also dug pounds of gold while running a good discriminating VLF, digging nuggets while other guys are digging nails.

It is not that we need 100% one method or 100% the other method. We need both tools available and at our disposal to use as we see fit for the given time and place. Me having a better discrimination option does not prevent me from digging everything if I have the time and patience for it.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

If developing kick-a** new technology metal detectors was easy, then we would have them from many manufacturers every few years.

to develop a new platform from scratch, even without a new technology, costs a lot of enginerring and developmnet dollars. If I had to guess, I would estimate that it would take about 7-10 man-years of so called "non recurring engineering" or "NRE".  That can easily cost $1 - $2 million.  A big chunk of change for a company whose annual gross revenue might only be in the tens of millions.

You have to have some idea that is really exciting in terms of future sales to get management backing for a project like that.  The fact is that sometimes small teams in small companies (and all of the metal detector companies are small companies) run into roadblocks - or sometimes opportunities that can easly add a year to the project.

2016 for a new Fisher?  Well, there's always next year. Dave Johnson, Carl Moreland and the rest of the team are still on the payroll and I suspect that they aren't just designing new pink cammo schemes for kids detectors.

we'll see.

• Like 3

Minelab GPZ19 coil running late. XP DEUS V4 update and accessories running late. New Garrett ATX coils running late. CZX running late - just like everything else. Most detectorists are optimists and I guess the same can be said for metal detector engineers.

Just go metal detecting enough and time will fly!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been lurking here for quite some time. Great site with allot of information. Not many can match it.

Has there been in new news on these two detectors ?  I'm interested in both for salt water beach and relic hunting here on the Central Coast Section (Monterey Bay Area) of California.

Thanks for any info.

El

Hi Elbert, and welcome to the forum. No new information that I am aware of beyond the fact that 2016 is slipping by with no sign of an introduction. Delays happen for many reasons in the detector industry to the point where I think they can just be expected. Personally I like rumors and speculation but ultimately I just believe them when I see them.

• 1 month later...

Been doing some thinking on the new Fisher CZX, they say 9-1 frequency ratio, well why not build it at least say 71 khz high frequency with a low of 7.88khz frequency, so it mimics the Gold Bug 2 for tiny gold detection with its high freq, or even better do 80khz high and 8.88 khz low freq if its possible to do in the electronics. We all know the success of the GB2 over other vlf detectors due to this high khz.

Deus seems to be coming out with a high freq coil of 80 khz elliptical soon which I think is a great idea. However their detector is single freq, so the CZX should possibly  be able to walk all over the Deus for deeper gold as well as grain size  gold at the surface, between the two freqs working at the same time and the new form of ground balance they speak of.